Talon TSi AWD to Eclipse GSX conversion, Should I do it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:05 PM
Default Talon TSi AWD to Eclipse GSX conversion, Should I do it.

Alright so I'll start buy saying that these two cars were my first DSM's. I have wanted an eclipse GSX since I was 10 or so. These are my cars

I found an opportunity to pickup an 1999 eclipse 5 speed GS with the stock 420a 130k miles for really cheap. I expected some issues however, the previous owner had let it run with really low oil and killed atleast 1 rod bearing. Honestly I didn't care, and expected the engine to be fried when he told me the price. It runs and drives but its barely hanging on. Though has the full OEM GSX body kit, a perfect leather interior, and a really cool set of Rage Breaker Wheels that I just finished restoring and some new tires. The trans and AC work well and electrically its sound. It needs new rod bearings and probably a crank but otherwise the car is decent just needs some TLC. I have a freshly bored and polished block with a new crank I can use as well. There was something missing though, I didn't want front wheel drive I want all wheel drive and I want a turbo.

Two weeks ago I managed to get a hold of a running and driving 1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD automatic with 233k miles. I drove 3 hours there and drove it 3 hours back. It runs and drives however either the engine is starving for fuel or its piston rings have gone beyond there service life. The likes to have its idle randomly spike when you put it in nuetral or park and after its gotten warm its idle bounces I haven't had time yet for a compression check but I'm betting its wayyyy down. Also it needs an O2 sensor and possibly a MAP sensor. The body is in really great shape but it could use a buff and polish and some new door window rails, and the windows are rattling so I'll need to fix that. It has a front mount installed and it came with a spare turbo, transmission cooler, timing belt, bunches of gaskets, and a full service manual. I drove it all the way home and parked it next to the eclipse and until I can work on them monday or wednesday there they sit.

So these are what I'm working with. At this point I have two options.

1. I can do what I want, which is swap the interior, exterior, and wheels from the eclipse to the talon giving me a GSX automatic (i'd prefer a manual) . I found a really solid 6 bolt block at my local pick and pull which already had ARP head studs installed. So I would be using the stock 2G head and reaming out the head bolt holes for the new studs and boring out the 2g intake manifold for the 1g throttle body. Then the usual wiseco pistons and manley rods. Then it will sit stock while I work on paint and turbo options. After that I can sell all the eagle parts since those seem to be in high demand and sell the eclipse with the 420a block and crank.

2. I can sell them both as is, and if I do I have no idea what I should ask or who to sell them to. If i sell them I'd hopefully be able to get a decent amount to put towards a real GSX lol

So any opinions are really appreciated. I'd love to hear what you all have to say, dsm veterans tell me if this is a stupid decision lol.

Name:  IMG_20170213_114422761.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  274.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20170213_123758944.jpg
Views: 3433
Size:  292.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20170213_123806399.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  275.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20170213_123817320.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  241.0 KB

Last edited by DeathJunior; 02-18-2017 at 09:28 PM.