Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

disabling EGR

Old 07-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Default disabling EGR

Hi,

I wonder if anybody tried to disable EGR valve on Outlander III (MY13, diesel 2.2D engine)? A simple EGR bypass/delete kit would work?

Old 12-18-2014, 03:11 PM

Anyone?

Old 01-08-2015, 10:38 AM

What are you trying to accomplish with this?

Old 01-09-2015, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
What are you trying to accomplish with this?
In my old diesel Audi A6 TDI 2.5 (2002) I disabled the EGR valve with a simple blocking plate ($10 from eBay). It lead to a better fuel economy and helped to get rid of nasty smoke when engine just started in a cold winter conditions. It also felt like old engine (470000 km = 292000 miles) got a bit more power, but this is rather a subjective feeling, I have no prove of it

Of course my diesel Outlander is new and on the warranty. I have no problem with smoking engine nor plans to modify car right now and void the warranty.

In the long term the EGR feature pollutes the intake manifold which lead to reduction of its volume and disbalances the air/fuel mass ratio. This is not good. In many older cars a simple blocking plate is sufficient to disable EGR valve. For some newer cars there are EGR disabling kits available to block the valve and fool the ECU about valve position. Well, search the net to get an expert answer...

My question is if there is a kit available or in the development for diesel 2.2DiD 150hp engine? I heard that it can be possible to map out the EGR function in the ECU but that requires special programming equipment and skills.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:01 PM

I have seen a lot for forums and articles about deleting EGR on their engine. Well yes it can be done, but think of it. Surely manufactures wouldn't invest millions for a part that is worthless right?

Old 10-27-2015, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by up-and-down
I have seen a lot for forums and articles about deleting EGR on their engine. Well yes it can be done, but think of it. Surely manufactures wouldn't invest millions for a part that is worthless right?
No, I am not sure about this
Look at VW scandal. It is about disabling EGR, but we rather skip this discussion here because it is political now.

I learned that EGR in Mitsu. is disabled when engine is cold. Also EGR can be mapped out in ECU. There are lots of companies (here in Europe but not in my region) who can disable a corresponding bit from ECU chip. So, actually, one do not need to buy and install a hardware kit for DiD 2.2 engine made after 2012. Alternately, one can buy ECU chip programmer. But this will cost $400-800 and it is better to leave this job to a pro ;-)

Old 09-04-2016, 06:28 AM

Hi, Its been a few years since i sold my grandis d.i.d but would think this fairly simple (maybe someone could correct me who has done it recently)

This is a 2.0tdi VAg engine, it seems nearly all if not all are running a Bosch EDC16 ecu. Id need to know that first. Some 2.0tdi's run a siemens set up and it can still be done but is a bit more complicated.

I would think as the actuator pictured is vacuum operated if you disconnected the vac line, it would remain perm shut. Then remove ecu from car (better then via obd) and remap with all egr related data off (approx £150-200 if you need to get someone to do this for you) if you want to get into this yourself you would need to buy probably a good KTAG clone from china, but be careful which one you get as they may need to be reworked. Then ask for an EGR off file from someone that knows what they are doing. (approx 50e for a good map file)

Once the ecu is reprogrammed it wont recognise theres any fault with EGR system, even though the vac hose is off. You may need to do more work depending on what type of valve opens to let the exhaust gas through.

I have EGR off files as well as DPF off.

EGR is of no benefit to the engine, in fact its quite the opposite. The ECU decides how much to open the poppet vale (in this case) in the picture depending upon load. On full throttle the valve is shut, and when doddering its open quite a bit. This is the reason wht cars that get a good thrashing all of the time (like the high motorway milers) dont get this problem so much. EGR is purely for enviornmental reasons and manufacturers must fit them. When open they allow a small percentage of exhaust gas to recuirculate into the intake and this has the affect of lowering combustion temperatures due to the fact that it doesnt burn very well. This in turn then means that the vehicle produces less nitrous oxide which is harmful to the enviornment and causes acid rain amongst other things.The price it comes with is less performance and more blockages, which is why the valve shuts at full throttle.

Hope this help you all
EDIT: EDC16 was only used to about 2009-2010, after that I don't know the ECU, its quite possible they used the EDC17, but the 2.2 engine Im not sure

Old 09-04-2016, 08:04 AM

No wonder it's political…. you're basically saying "to hell with the environment" right? (This is just a honest question and not at all intended to spark any controversy.) Just want to make sure I understand your post.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:29 PM

Hi, it has been awhile. No, it is not me who's saying "to hell with the environment" it is now your president as well as VW and other car manufacturers! :-D

Anyway, I have a simple question now: is it possible to disable or map out EGR functionality with M.U.T.-3 tool?

Old 02-26-2018, 07:50 AM

What are you trying do ?