Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

why eclipse is running hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Default why eclipse is running hot

hello ...ppl
i looking for some answer about my 420a eclipse
about last few months ago ......i change my intake and also my headers and catback
but just few days ago .....my car is running too hot because of the new headers i got
so i just wonder ...... should i putmy radiator fan .....to direct ...like ask i start the car and the fan come on and never stop ??
need answer .......ppl ........thanks

Old 09-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: why eclipse is running hot

your car is not gonna run too hot because of headers. I think you need to locate the real source of the problem. Do you have any smoke from the exhaust. Have you checked you coolant levels

Old 09-16-2008, 05:57 PM

well the temp gauge is below alittle bit half , and all my fans are working .....but i have a few leak on my radiator
but that is a prob i already fix ......and also .....no smoke on the when i rev .....
so wat u think ?????

Old 09-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Banned

Dude did you pass HS english?

Old 09-16-2008, 06:06 PM

i am chinese .....so can you help me and find out what my car problems are please
....i will appreciate it alot ......

Old 09-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Banned

My bad.

Turn your air conditioning on, so it turns on both fans, then see if it still gets hot.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:27 PM

Ninhao,
you said your temp gauge stays a little bit below the middle?
Are you getting slight knocking noise on the engine when you drive or feel the engine sluggish?
I want to find out if your car is REALLY overheating or you just feel it hotter cuz of the new headers

Old 09-16-2008, 06:35 PM

well .....yes is hot
but it never over heat .....
like few days ago .....i drove my car aleast one hr and a half .....then i shut the car down and restart the car ....and my temp gauge start to go and pass half and then the fan kicks in and it drop back to less than half .....i just want to know if i should wire the fan to a direct ......that is all i want to know ....advice ??

Old 09-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

no i would not rewire the fan. if your car is overheating it is doing it for a reason, wether it be a cooling issue or a problem with the fuel delivery. By doing the fan you are only masking the issue.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:12 PM

Hey Adrian, did you by any chance mess up any temp sensors/wiring when you install the headers? Could you verify the temp sensor resistance against factory specs?
Otherwise, according to what you tell us, you car is doing fine. Temp gauge should be in/around the middle. When over the middle the fans kick in and bring it down a bit lower than middle, then cycle repeats. If you see this pattern then you're good. If not, then start checking timing and fuel delivery along with all previously mentioned things.
I'm not sure in your case but fans can be controlled by either engine's ECU or standalone sensors/relay circuit, so playing with EPROM of ECU it is possible to change temp. threshold, and so likewise is selecting different sensors.

Quick Reply: why eclipse is running hot