Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

The Digital Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Default The Digital Eclipse

Dave's 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse
THE DIGITAL ECLIPSE

Right now im in the process of completely revamping the interior and all electronics, the top pic is the most recent, Ive added an LCD to replace my analog gauges, controlled by an ELM 327 OBDII to USB interface and displayed on a 7" Lilliput LCD monitor. All of the following is what I have done in the past. Enjoy!

WATCH THE VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hku5H3G1P4A

This is a video from a couple of months ago right after I replaced my gauges with LCD

Just a little background on this vehicle, it had one other owner prior to myself. I was on deployment overseas Apr 2005 and overheard one of my fellow airman talking about a car he was trying to sell. The only problem was his ex-wife had the car, but the judge made her give it to him. That is what she did, however he didnt say in one piece or not. I came home several months later and there i was minding my own business when i saw this eclipse sitting on blocks with the windows busted out, perched in a field. Everyday i would pass this car on my way to work, finally i stopped, knocked on the door and there that guy was I was deployed with. I asked him about the car, he told me what happened. I went to take a look at it, the dash was destroyed, carpet and seats soaked and mildewed, engine knocking like the three round burst of an M-16A2.
I knew i had hit the jackpot, i love a good project!!! The odometer only read 35,000 miles on it, he never filed a claim so the title and carfax was still good, and he only owed 4,000 bucks. Time to wheel and deal, i went to the bank, pulled out $4,500 and bought it the next day. Towed it to my garage, yanked the motor and tranny and completely gutted the interior.
After tearing into the engine, i discovered it wasnt in too bad of shape, the block and head were perfect! Pistons, rods, crank, not so good, valves bent as well. So i began the rebuild process adding better performance internals after having the block machined and resurfaced and the head ported, polished, new valves, seats ect. Couple of bolt-ons, i wanted a turbo, but too expensive, must come later, so HKS catback exaust, Injen intake, ect.

Now the interior was a little bit trickier. After i completely gutted it, i went through and simple greened all of the metal, I had the dash all laid out on the ground so it would be the first thing on my list to do:

I have to dig through all of my pics but here are a couple of the screen fabrication and HU bezel

I then filled every crevice of the interior with insulating foam and dynomated over it. Laid down the groundwork for the pc and audio system. I started with MB Quart compontents, Optima battery, 0/0ga power wire, upgraded the ground to 0/0ga as well, making sure to keep the power and RCA cables on opposite sides of the car to reduce EM interference from the power cable. At first i had a Kicker L7 12, powered by a 1800W monoblock SPL amp. The speakerbox was made of 90% fiberglass, it took me about 2wks to fabricate, but it sounded awesome:
Unfortunately the weekend after i upholstered it with vinyl someone broke in and stole it. The good thing was he left half a finger sitting inside my dash where he tried to remove my screen. Unfortunately my car was a bloody mess afterward. However it did prompt me to make a new ceiling panel out of fiberglass, due to the fact the old one was saturated with bloody hand prints:

MY GHETTO CEILING AND SCREEN INSTALL
(yes that is what you might think it is)

I took the insurance money, purchased a Kicker L7 15 and a 4500W SPL class D monoblock amp, also upgraded the PC:
(I built this one out of 3/4" MDF instead of fiberglass)

BEFORE
(crappy M2ATX, M10000 MB, 80gb HD, Win XP just sitting in dash)

NOW
(M4atx, Zotac IOn MB, 1TB SATA HD, 4GB RAM, Win 7 64bit)

(Yes the socks crammed into the vent holes are clean)

MY M4ATX PSU and COOLING FAN
Its sooo purty!!! Best PSU ever!!!

SUCK THE COLD AIR UP THROUGH BOTTOM

BEFORE

As you can see I have put allot of work into this project, but with most projects you are never done, always something new and exciting to add, so i will constantly be updating this thread, feel free to leave any comments or ask any questions.
Thank you,
Dave

Last edited by DigitalEclipse; 06-10-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:49 PM

Made a ton of changes since this post, will be updating soon