Interior Wiring Discuss everything in the car here, from boost controllers to custom wiring.

Galant / Endeavor backup camera installation

Old 07-24-2015, 05:30 PM
O_P
Question Galant / Endeavor backup camera installation

Hi all,

I know the Galant SE and the Endeavor had the option of a backup camera, and I've found a cheap one on ebay but have no idea how to wire it in.

I have a Galant Ralliart from 2007 and the MMCS unit looks identical to the Galant SE one from the outside.
From what I can tell they all use the same part number for the screen.
Is there a wiring diagram around anywhere for the screen?
From photos I've seen online it has 3 different plugs on the back, a white square one (could this be where the backup camera goes?), a black round one and a black rectangular one (pretty sure this connects to the amp).

Has anyone done this before? I can't find any info anywhere, have been searching for days, maybe I'm using the wrong keywords or something.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:35 PM
O_P

For a bit more info on what I'm talking about, here is a video showing the unit in action in a Galant SE.
https://youtu.be/tWN4jxgpCiI?t=94

Here is an ebay listing for the unit that I think is in my car, it shows the plugs in the back.

If anyone can help out with the wiring diagram that would be awesome.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:17 AM

OEM radios aren't like aftermarket radios... They usually either plug in to the same connectors and work or they don't.

They often talk to the car's computer network and talk to steering wheel controls via 1 wire interfaces and the like... If it's compatible you should be able to just plug and play...

You may also need a special antenna for the GPS to work they aren't always built in if you don't have that system.

Also to note that package is just the head unit, there is no backup camera included there.. You will need to find the compatible OEM backup camera and run a wire from the back of the car to the front and possibly add a pin to the connector.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:22 PM
O_P

To be clear im not looking to add that screen into my car, it's already in there as stock. Everything works.
I just want to know if anyone has ever added the oem backup camera to one of these cars rather than getting it included from a dealer.
Or if anyone has one that was built in and wants to take photos of the wiring that would be super helpful.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:33 PM

I'm sorry, I misread your post.

I found some install guides (not for your car specifically) that show the camera connector as a little square connector so it's possible that is the camera connector however I would wait for someone with that car or do some more research into the connector before you proceed.

Old 08-21-2022, 03:25 PM
Default Rear cam wiring

Originally Posted by O_P
To be clear im not looking to add that screen into my car, it's already in there as stock. Everything works.
I just want to know if anyone has ever added the oem backup camera to one of these cars rather than getting it included from a dealer.
Or if anyone has one that was built in and wants to take photos of the wiring that would be super helpful.

I had a Gen 1 Montero (traded her in for a 22 outlander). Loved her.

I put a pioneer system in her that included front and back cameras. I did not connect the front cam, but the back cam kept giving me problems like you're having.

I ended up disconnecting the left rear tail lamp and splicing the hot wire (not the ground) and running the line to the reverse light (white). It worked perfectly, and always worked when put in R. This will work for you as well.