Interior Wiring Discuss everything in the car here, from boost controllers to custom wiring.

Mitsubishi Colt cz1 2006 5 door Hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Unhappy Mitsubishi Colt cz1 2006 5 door Hatchback

Hey all

First off thanks for reading this its gunna be a little long..

I got my car back from the mot station friday evening and it failed on:-

Off side reg plate bulb
Front head lights wrong colour
rear fog not working

so immediatly i went out and got some bulbs taking the old ones with me to match them up all was good

i put the reg bulb in and it came on straight away

i changed the front head lights to the correct colour and these are now fine

but for the life of me i cant get the rear fog to work

first off let me explain how my lights are situated:-

Left side Drivers side
1 - Center Break light
2 - Break Light 2 - Break Light
3 - Indicator 3 - Indicator
4 - Reverse light 4 - Reverse light
5 - Tail light 5 - Tail/fog light

6 - reg plate light 6 - Reg plate light

ok so as you can see the drivers side tail acts as the fog when the fog button is pushed

these tail light bulbs are the only ones that have duel filaments

i checked all the lights and they all work fine break/indicators/reverse/tails

but when i turn the head lights on main lamps ( not side lights) and press the fog light button in it is supposed to light the 2nd filament (if thats correct) but it doesent the light on the dash comes on to let me know that my fogs are on but they actually aint???

i have tryed on side lights but the button doesent work it wont even put the symbol on the dash so im guessing it has to be on main lights for fog to work

i went and put full beams on thinking it mite be that but they still dont work

i have checked the fuses and got a few fresh ones and put them in but again they wont turn on

also got a multimeter and checked for power at the bulb housing and on the multipin connector and this seems to be getting around the 11.3v mark

also put the multi meter to the indervidual switch and this is showing power to there.

whats confusing me is how come only the one filament will light (the tail lights)

i got told that theres a relay for the fogs i have looked for this but not really sure what im looking for the guy told me it should click when i push the fog light button but i dont think it does (but im not sure if im in the right place)

above the normal fuses there are black box's with 4 legs 2 copper 2 silver/metal i have noticed one ov these has a fog lamp picture to match the socket so i removed a few and checked them all against each other and there all identical even all the writing is the same ect ect so i swaped a few around and the fogs still wouldnt come one ( are these the relays? )

i dont have a wiring diagram or nothing so if im going to trace the wires im gunna have to take the whole dash and door covers off which i dunt really wana do

anyone have any ideas 2 help me out? dont wana spend 150 at an auto electrician when i could prob fix it myself

also on a side note the main fog switch has an led light thats supposed to come on when you turn the main lights on but this doesent would something as small as a faulty led be causing this? cus the light still comes on at the dash? just doesent light the 2nd filament

thanks for the replys and i am sorry its so long

cheers

Ray

Old 07-24-2010, 03:03 PM

anyone? :/

Old 11-26-2016, 10:08 AM

having this exact same problem with 55 plated colt 5 door. nobody have any ideas, can't get too the bottom of it at all.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:04 PM
Default 6 years on

Hey noticed your message

I rewired a new switch in to pass mot follow original wires to drivers foot panel place new switch in to old switch place leave.old wires tap into loom and new cables up n under dash fog light works

After a few months i managed to source a replacement fog switch and bingo problem solved

The switch.didnt seem at fault 12v present on off seems to work led wise but switch was done for new one went in and worked first time

Ive had tje same happen on a/c aswell

Also centre console display pcb warps sending the panel crazy requiring a new unit

All general things to keep eyez on

Old 12-06-2016, 05:58 AM

switch was working fine, ran a wire from existing switch to the fog relay and it worked, seems to be a problem with the wiring at the back of the fusebox.