Internal Lounge Chat about beefing up your insides here.

99 Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Default 99 Eclipse

Hey all, New here but I just bought a 99 Eclipse 2 Liter non Turbo for 500 bucks. It needs a head gasket done but I figure parts in it'll cost me about 700 total, worst case scenario I can sell the tires that were put on the day before the head blew and make a few hundred back before scrapping it. Anyways, my question being, anything I should look for or watch out for with this year/type of car? I've never owned a Mitsubishi before, so I'm not sure if there's any issues with them or anything.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bombarament
Hey all, New here but I just bought a 99 Eclipse 2 Liter non Turbo for 500 bucks. It needs a head gasket done but I figure parts in it'll cost me about 700 total, worst case scenario I can sell the tires that were put on the day before the head blew and make a few hundred back before scrapping it. Anyways, my question being, anything I should look for or watch out for with this year/type of car? I've never owned a Mitsubishi before, so I'm not sure if there's any issues with them or anything.
Hello, I'm new here too welcome, so your car cost you $500? so your car is not running at all? I will give some links that may help you with some manual so you get to know your engine, I have a 420a(non turbo engine) too.
Download a 2G Service Manual - DSM Forums

Old 03-05-2013, 07:00 PM

Lol, it was running when I bought it, and I know the previous owner from high school. It needed the head gasket replaced and that's half done now. The car itself was 500 though and had brand new tires on it plus it was nicer then what I have now, I just figured I'd ask and see if there was any other issues or things to watch out for with eclipses? I was hoping there's nothing major that would require more work then what the Head gasket is taking, but if so I'm not too worried.

Although question, I'm trying to remove the crankshaft pulley and I've got the bolt out of it, the belts are off and I've tried using a pulley puller but the bolt for that isn't long enough. I asked a few mechanics at work and they said to try using screwdrivers on each side to kind of unseal it, or to use a socket as an extension for the pulley puller. Anyone else have any ideas that could work?

Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 PM

99' 2.0 non turbo here also. I haven't had any major problems with mine. Just some minor stuff. Belts, batteries. Easy fixes. It's bad on gas though. Otherwise it's a great car. Good luck!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bombarament
anything I should look for or watch out for with this year/type of car?
yeah, the head gasket.