Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

3000gt vr4 smoke problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:26 PM

holy 2 year old thread resurrection LOL

Old 02-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Default I have the answer!!

OK I have a 94 Stealth TT....Now my cuz has a 94 VR4 with the same exact symtoms. and the problem was he installed a walbro fuel pump which is rated @ 100psi stockfuel pump is rated @ 43.5 psi fuel regulator also 43.5 psi and injectors 43.5 all working in harmony.Now, we had to replace the fuel pump back to stock and fuel regulator as soon as we did the jerking back and fowar stopt and smoke reduce 90% we still had to replace the injectors because they also got damage from the fuel pumps pressure... end of the story!!! fuel regulator and injectors got damage bacause of fuel pump having to much pressure if you installed a hi perform fuel pump or mabe stock got damage and is sending more fuel your system has fuel overflow firts it takes out the regulator because it can only hold 45psi anything over that and its gone than everytime the ecu tells the injectors to inject fuel on every cylinder cycle ...there is so much presure than instead of spraying 43.5 psi it will spray more from 60-100 psi overflowing the chamber with gas and provokes the jerking back and foward after 3000rpm no mater how far you step on the gas.

Hope this helps if you have any questions feel free to write @ mandy_shox@live.com Thanks Armand.:cool:

Originally Posted by civicdestroyer
I have a 3000gt vr4 that ive been working on for a few months. the car starts up with alot of white smoke and when i take it for a spin, the car jerks back and forth on every gear above 3000 rpm. inaddition there is alot of white smoke. so i replace the air flow meter sensor, head gasket, spark plugs, gas filter, fuel injectors, spark plug wires, shave the head by machine shop, new timing belt, tensioners, and water pump. but after replacing every thing the car still smokes alot and never goes away. the smoke smeels like gas too. do you think its the ecu or fuel pump? please help me out. o yeah it doesn't overheat, just blowing alot of white smoke and jerk with an engine light.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:37 PM

you can install a walbro fuel pump in a stock car. sounds like you put a fuel pressure regulator on and didn't know what you were doing.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:21 AM

Please Read Againg,, I din't Install the Walbro fuel pump it was my cousin playing mechanic. Of course you can not install a hi preformance fuel pump in a stock car. You can only do that if you go with biger turbos,injector,stand alone or piggy bank that can controll fuel air mixture plus a a/m adjustable fuel regulator that ca withstan the pressure.lol.

Originally Posted by Girly VR4
you can install a walbro fuel pump in a stock car. sounds like you put a fuel pressure regulator on and didn't know what you were doing.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by RT_Twin Turbo
Please Read Againg,, I din't Install the Walbro fuel pump it was my cousin playing mechanic. Of course you can not install a hi preformance fuel pump in a stock car. You can only do that if you go with biger turbos,injector,stand alone or piggy bank that can controll fuel air mixture plus a a/m adjustable fuel regulator that ca withstan the pressure.lol.
no, you can install an aftermarket fuel pump in a 100% bone stock car with no tuning, or other modifications needed. If you install aftermarket fuel INJECTORS, that is when you will need a fuel controller. Neither of these modifications require the installation of larger turbos.

I do this for a living, I should know.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:11 PM

Just finished fixing my wife's 92 3000gt which had the same problem.

ECU had leaking caps. This caused the # 4 cylinder injector to stay open, continuously dumping gas in the cylinder. Result: White smoke and gas smell.

Solution:
Replaced ECU with re manufactured unit. ($300 part)
Replaced injector.
Replaced catalytic Converter
Total Cost of repairs, including tune up, etc $ 2000.00

Result: Car passed Virginia Emission Inspection for first time in 10 years!

Dealer missed the ecu issue, they thought it was a blown head gasket based on the white smoke. They charged me a lot to turn the heads and replace the head gasket! Completely unnecessary! Thanks for nothing, guys!

A local independent shop plugged into the ecu, diagnosed the problem correctly, and solved the problem the dealer had given up on.

I bought the ecu on ebay. Beware of dealer replacement, it has the old bad capacitors! If you can afford it, get the AEM ECU ($ 1600).

Old 10-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Default Bad Capacitors, ecu, ecs

After solving the emissions problem, I looked at the ECS unit in the rear of the car. Sure enough, it had at least 3 bad Capacitors.