Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

3000gt vr4 startup problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Default 3000gt vr4 startup problem

Hello, everyone. My name is Nick and i have a 3000gt vr4 thats 43,000 mileage. The car has been service well. The car recive a complete tune-up as well as a timing belt, water pump, and new head gaskets. Not to forget, even shaved the heads at the machine shop. Well here is the problem, The car doesn't start and i don't know why. I mean it kind of starts but cuts off with the idle running very low. In order to keep the car idling just for a couple of seconds i have to floor the gas and even though i floor the gas the rpm only reaches to half of 1 rpm. This just doesn't make sence. After completing all of these task, the car ran for 3 days untill one night the car just shut off. I checked the timing and some of the fuse. Both of them are okay. Dissamble the fuel line to see if the car has gas going threw the line and it does. Also i changed the ecu and ecm, but the car stilll acts the same. I have no idea. THe only idea left is to check for the sparks. Oh yea the mas has been replaced to see if this was the problem. No luck though becuase the car is still the same. Please if anyone has any idea, please give suggestions and ideas. Thanks for reading.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:21 PM

Check the Y-pipe.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:58 PM

the y pipe? i don't c why the y pipe would have to do with anything with the car cutting off. can u elabarate more please. o yeah i call the shop of your bf, but sum1 picked up and was really ****ed up and told me the only advice he got is to send the car to a shop. At least give me advice on what to do first and then if i can't fix it, then i will bring it to the shop. I belieave i can fix this problem, but i just need some guidance because i am still learning. thank you for helping.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Has the car sat for a while? Try checking fuel pressure, if its low it can cause your issues.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:31 PM

check your idle speed control valve you may need to clean out all the carbon deposits and If you have an amp tester check your ohms on steper motor.did you chenge your fuel filter plugs and wires?or it could be an air leack like a vacum hose or something like that.its hard to tell what it is without me looking at it but I'll start with the basics like checking all the relays,hoses for any leak,acutators,sensors,fuel filter or pump may be both,plugs and wires,coils and go down the list.this is what I do for living and If you need some more help just shot me a line ok.hope you find the problem soon.Joe

-This is the e-mail I recieved via ebay, hope you understand it. Good luck fixing my car again ,sigh

-The reason why madam Girly vr4 said Y-pipe, is because if the Y-pipe is either loose or not connected, it will cause the car to Start-->Idle like crap-->3 seconds--> Stall, trust me on this, I've had alot of Y-pipe issues in the past lol, damn those ebay Y-pipes, it's a better ornament than a performance part.

Last edited by PoorVR4; 08-07-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by dsm1990gsx
Has the car sat for a while? Try checking fuel pressure, if its low it can cause your issues.
Nope, maybe for 4 hours, that's about it.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by civicdestroyer
the y pipe? i don't c why the y pipe would have to do with anything with the car cutting off. can u elabarate more please. o yeah i call the shop of your bf, but sum1 picked up and was really ****ed up and told me the only advice he got is to send the car to a shop. At least give me advice on what to do first and then if i can't fix it, then i will bring it to the shop. I belieave i can fix this problem, but i just need some guidance because i am still learning. thank you for helping.
The reason why that person said that, is because it's bad for an automobile servicing business to constantly give free advice on how to fix a car, it's not beneficial and will not bring in any net profit. I've done that countless of times, except I was a little more customer service orientated about it lol, but hey it works =P, it is also a legality issue, if an established business offers you advice, you follow it and it messes up the car, they can be held liable and are susceptible to a lawsuit, so, it is also a safety percaution. Thank you though, you've gone through alot for my car and myself, I appreciate it.

Last edited by PoorVR4; 08-06-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:05 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NXKiA9xeko , here is a youtube video with the same problem.

-Except for there is no engine light, and the exaust sound is much lower on my car.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:09 AM

-HERE IS MY POST REGARDING THIS ISSUE IN ANOTHER THREAD.

"just fixed my car, turns out the problem was the ecu , it was just replaced with a new one. now there is a diffrent problem(this car seems to have a multitude of problems), Everything ran fine but the car was shut off and a couple hours later, restarted, but all it did was

Crank-->Start-->Ugly horrible idle-->No check engine light-->3 seconds later---->dies (there is a strong gas smell comming out the exaust pipe those 3 seconds it's on)

I've been researching to the point where I started having dreams about researching, this is what I've narrowed it down too.

-It could be the fuel pump(but a bad fuel pump means it wont start, right?)

-It could be the fuel pump is on but isnt recieving enough power from the fuel pump relay, while it's on(should I just buy and change the relay? If the fuel pump relay is bad wouldnt there be a check engine light or not?)

-It could be the ECI or ECU fuse in the front blown due to a huge sub and a heavy amp sucking speaker system was put in, after a day of that sub the car had this problem, can that cause a eci or ecu fuse to blow?)(how would I even check? Can I just look at it?)

We thought it was the ecu again but all 3 ecu's have the same problem, no caps are leaking on 2 of them , they are in perfect conditions, cant be MAF because there is no check engine light(but it does have the same symptoms)

sigh, has anyone seen anything similar? "

Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by civicdestroyer

When did you call? It was probably one of our techs, he usually has 10 different things he's doing at once, and has no patience to speak with anyone on the phone. My apologies if he was short with you. He's not much of a people-person.

If we spent all day giving advice over the phone, A) we'd never have any paying customers, and B) we'd never be able to work on the paying customers vehicles.

Also, it's EXTREMELY difficult to diagnose problems like this over the phone or the internet. And chances are, if you can't troubleshoot the problem yourself, it's 9/10 too difficult for us to explain how to diagnose and fix the problem over the phone or internet.

I just spoke with the tech, and he said he apologizes for being short with you, but it's not a simple "look here" type of problem. There are WAY too many variables and reasons why your car is acting the way it is. It is IMPOSSIBLE for us to diagnose it without having the car here at the shop because we can't go step-by-step with you over the phone through 20 different scenerios.

Last edited by Girly VR4; 08-08-2009 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 3000gt vr4 startup problem