Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

92 3KGT - huge clatter - blown or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Default 92 3KGT - huge clatter - blown or something else?

92 SL with blown engine - huge CLATTER!
[hr]

Just bought 92 SL (135k) with blown engine - I actually wanted one with blown engine for father-son project. Just finished a rebuild on a 4L Jeep, and recognize this is more complex - Jeep sort of a warm-up :-)

I have seen, heard, and worked on several blown engines - but nothing sounded as awful as this thing - other than spinning a bearing (could happen anytime - but somehow this just doesn't sounds like that), or bending valves (usually only when jumping a couple teeth on the belt - this does sound more like that), is there anything else that could cause this horrific "clatter?"

I pulled the two cam covers to see if there was anything to indicate belt damage, etc, but looks clean, belt is tight, nothing out of the ordinary ... I also used contact scope to listen and the back bank of cylinders does sound worse - but is so darn loud, can't really tell.

PO just had the oil changed, and said this started - is there ANY chance this could be one or more valve lash adjusters with air in them - the shop manual seems to spend some significant time on this? How many with air in the adjuster would it take to make a significant amount of clatter?

Will drain oil next and maybe pull the pan to look.

Appreciate any comments or thoughts.[/align]

Old 02-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Default RE: 92 3KGT - huge clatter - blown or something else?

If the clatter is as loud and pronounced as you say, I can't believe it would be lifter tick.

Drain the oil, check for metal flakes. Cut the filter up, do the same.

Let us know what you find.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:33 PM

join this forum :

http://www.florida3s.com

i guarantee you that they will help you with this. thats my home forum. i LOVE that place. from what i hear, it doesnt sound like bent valves, thats more like a "ting, ting, ting" noise.. lol. but you never know. it may as well be a spun bearing. maybe it threw a rod? im not sure. but join that forum above, and they will help you.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:23 PM

Pulled pan - spun bearing! No more surprises, I guess.

Will do a rebuild .. sounds like fun!