Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

95 tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Default 95 tranny problems

Ok, so i am driving a 95 3000gt and about a week ago, i started to have problems with it staying in "gear" so to speak. Its an automatic and at first it would cut out every once in a while and then when i let off the gas it would kick back in. So i just ignored it cause we have already had the tranny completely rebuild when the throwout berring went out. but like 3 days ago it wouldn't even stay in gear when i reached about 40 or higher. the car runs fine when it gets warm and i keep the overdrive off, but as soon as i turn on the overdrive it completely stops all power to the wheels, it acts like i put it in neutral
Also, whenever i got start it in the morning, it has a rough whining and kindof ticking sound when i put it in any gear. It also has almost no power when it is first started up, i have to push it to bout 4g til it even moves a few inches. I checked the oil and tranny fluid and both are fine.

If anybody could help me or even tell me who to talk to it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW... sorry if this is a repost, this isn't my car, its my parents and they aren't good with finding help online, they end up just sending it to shop and paying out the butt because they don't want to take the time to check on things.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 AM

That's impossible... there's no such thing as a "throw out bearing" on an automatic...

Where are you located, if you don't mind my asking?

-Em

Old 03-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Default end clutch

Hello,

The end clutch has gone out in your car they cost about 80 bucks and if you can take a tire off you can do it your self in an hour here is a link check it out but it is a common part on our cars to replace first time i paid 400 bucks if you drive the car hard they go out about every 30k i live in the mtn and i drive easy and it still goes out every 30k miles.

http://www.plymouthlaser.com/ec.htm

Old 03-26-2009, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by tropicalsrf
Hello,

The end clutch has gone out in your car they cost about 80 bucks and if you can take a tire off you can do it your self in an hour here is a link check it out but it is a common part on our cars to replace first time i paid 400 bucks if you drive the car hard they go out about every 30k i live in the mtn and i drive easy and it still goes out every 30k miles.

http://www.plymouthlaser.com/ec.htm
an end clutch/clutch pack would be if his overdrive was bad. His sounds more like a bad torque converter.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:48 AM

sounds like an end clutch to me.....or the throwout bearing..lol..you know the one they

threw out during the rebuild

Old 04-05-2009, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Girly VR4
an end clutch/clutch pack would be if his overdrive was bad. His sounds more like a bad torque converter.
"the car runs fine when it gets warm and i keep the overdrive off, but as soon as i turn on the overdrive it completely stops all power to the wheels,"

Yup...Sounds like an end clutch issue.

JJ

Old 04-05-2009, 12:24 PM

Ok, so i am driving a 95 3000gt and about a week ago, i started to have problems with it staying in "gear" so to speak. Its an automatic and at first it would cut out every once in a while and then when i let off the gas it would kick back in. So i just ignored it cause we have already had the tranny completely rebuild when the throwout berring went out. but like 3 days ago it wouldn't even stay in gear when i reached about 40 or higher. the car runs fine when it gets warm and i keep the overdrive off, but as soon as i turn on the overdrive it completely stops all power to the wheels, it acts like i put it in neutral
Also, whenever i got start it in the morning, it has a rough whining and kindof ticking sound when i put it in any gear. It also has almost no power when it is first started up, i have to push it to bout 4g til it even moves a few inches. I checked the oil and tranny fluid and both are fine.
end clutch/overdrive wouldn't cause those problems. It would just be NO 4th gear/overdrive. You click the overdrive button, and it doesn't go in, it would just rev, you click overdrive off, and the car would drive perfectly fine in the 3 lower gears. It wouldn't cause problems in the rest of the gears.

Unless the original poster is only referring to 4th gear... but he failed to mention the problem being specific to 4th gear.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:32 PM

This transmission may have other issues- but about the only thing he was specific with was the fact that he had no OD.

JJ

Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Smile Thanks Girly VR4

Originally Posted by Girly VR4
end clutch/overdrive wouldn't cause those problems. It would just be NO 4th gear/overdrive. You click the overdrive button, and it doesn't go in, it would just rev, you click overdrive off, and the car would drive perfectly fine in the 3 lower gears. It wouldn't cause problems in the rest of the gears.

Unless the original poster is only referring to 4th gear... but he failed to mention the problem being specific to 4th gear.
I found this forum via google. You have described exactly the issues I have with my GTO3000. All gears work 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th except for when I click into overdrive. Once in overdrive I get 1st, 2nd, 3rd but no 4th gear. 4th gear revs out and I go nowhere. Plus my oil smells burnt.

Least I know now what to do to fix it. Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:56 PM

You are welcome, glad it helped you.

If I can ever help with anything else, feel free to shoot me an Email (diagnosis, parts, etc. I have a few customers who find my pricing for parts, even with shipping, is cheaper than what you guys have available in NZ).

3000GTStealthWarehouse@gmail.com

Take care and good luck!
-Emilie

Quick Reply: 95 tranny problems