Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Body work on my '96 GT

Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Default Body work on my '96 GT

So I bought this car almost a year ago. After dealing with a lot of random issues, misfiring, replacing the fuel pump etc. I'm finally getting around to the body work. The original color was green with lots of sun damage and a ton of scratches and dents. So I'm working on taking care of all of that. Figured I'd post some pix of the work as I go a long.

Wet sanded the body.

Hit some rust that I grinded then hit with a rust sealer.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:37 AM

For those interested I used 3m 400 sand paper with a mix of water and soap. For the removing of the rust I used mastercoat rust remover then the silver rust sealer from the same company. For the body filler I'll end up using the Rage body filler. Sooo many dents on the roof of this thing! It's never ending.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 PM

if you're doing a proper two pack respray job you're going to want to get down to 2000 grit wetndry,

if you're a real fussy bugger, you'll be using cutting compound.

for removing rust i use an angle grinder and/or wire brush, depending how severe it is. a lot of the acids /commercial stuff leaves sh*tty residue which cannot be painted over.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Akzle
if you're doing a proper two pack respray job you're going to want to get down to 2000 grit wetndry,

if you're a real fussy bugger, you'll be using cutting compound.

for removing rust i use an angle grinder and/or wire brush, depending how severe it is. a lot of the acids /commercial stuff leaves sh*tty residue which cannot be painted over.
I used mastcoat metal prep worked really well with the rust and I didn't have any adhesion problems and the paint sticks good.

After I paint the car I'm going to cut and buff it.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Default New update.

Ok so for some reason my computer is uploading these sideways...

Anyways.

I used a UreKem base kit, it came with good stuff, stir sticks, strainers etc. Covered really well.

I used mastercoat ag2000 high solids clear cuz the nose originally had a whole lot of chips on it in the paint so I went this route to prevent any more chipping. I will probably have the only anti-graffiti 3000GT in the USA! Of course, after I've done all this work I'm noticing a few small dents that I missed so it's back to the grind stone, but luckily I took a couple classes on paintless dent removal and we'll see how that all turns out. Really dreading having to sand and paint the sides again if I can get these out! I also lucked out and had a day without any breeze to paint this as I did it outside, I know I'm brilliant...

Anyways I'm loving the color! So much better than the original green.