Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Cigarette lighter has stopped working

Old 06-23-2004, 07:03 AM
Default Cigarette lighter has stopped working

[X(]
I have a 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL. It has been a great car, only have had to replace the tires, and AC unit.

My wife came home said the cigarette lighters don’t work, as she was trying to charge her phone. Sure enough – they stopped working. I check the fuse – it is good. The only thing I can think of is the last time I used it was with a portable air compressor.

Any suggestions as to what I can check?

Thanks

Old 06-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Default RE: Cigarette lighter has stopped working

Do you have a test light? They are pretty cheap at most auto part stores. Buy one and check to make sure there is power to the cigarette lighter socket. Does the charger work in other cars? I don't know exactly what the problem may be, but that is a start.

Old 06-23-2004, 11:42 PM

Better yet, I have used a digital volt meter to verify that there is no voltage there when the ignition was on.

I used an ohm meter to verify the fuse is still in tack.

Both the normal, and auxillary cigarette lighters have no voltage. So there must be something in common with these.

Old 06-24-2004, 11:37 AM

did you put the voltmeter across the fuse slot. see if power is going through.... ground wire for the cig liter? are the two lighters in series or parallel?

Old 06-24-2004, 03:10 PM

If I remember, BIG IF, I will look at my servive manual when I get home from work (6:00 central time) and see what all is on that circuit. Like wildwest said, check the ground out.

Does everything else on the car work like normal?

Old 06-24-2004, 10:02 PM

Alrighty then....I attached the diagram. There weren't many troubleshooting tips, but it did say not to use anything that draws more than 120w, doing so could damage the ingition switch. It also recommended not using the lighter as a accessory plug as it may cause make the lighter too malfuction. It appears that the accessory plug(fuse 10) is hot when the key is at the ACC position. The lighter(fuse 5) does not get hot until the key is turned on (start). The ground is common though, so I would start there, if you have'nt already. If the ground is good, I would start checking out fuses 5 and 10 and play with key position for any changes in power. Then start working your way back to the lighter.

Hopefully you are someone else can maybe find something on the diagram of use.

Good luck, electrical gremlins are a bitch.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1297/73A087DBB9BB4D4DA71C9F8A6870B338.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-24-2004, 11:44 PM

I am not sure where fuse 10, and where fuse 5 is at. If I look at the fuse box under the dash, there does not appear to be a spearate fuse for the accessory lighter. So where did you obtain this diagram and what fuse numbers are you referring to.

So where are fuse 5 and 10?

Thanks for your help.

It appears everything is working fine with the exceptino of the lighters ?

Where did you obtain this schematic?

Old 06-25-2004, 12:47 AM

I got the schematic from a service manual like the dealerships have. They cost between 80 and 120 bucks but are priceless when it comes to the info in them. Don't waste your time with a Chiltons or Haynes manual, they don't offer near what this one doesl It is the bible for these cars.

The fuse #'s are in the circles next to the leg of the diagram that goes to each load of the circuit.

Fuse #5 is the 5th fuse over from the left , top row, next to a relay.
controls: mirrors and cig lighter

Fuse #10 directly below #5
controls accessory socket and ETACS (not sure what that is off hand)

Hope this helps. You may want to check out http://www.3si.org/forum there is an endless amount of info offered in that forum about the 3kgt/Stealth

Old 06-27-2004, 11:52 PM

There are no numbers on the fuse locations. I understood from the schematic what the fuse numbers are, however, there are no numbers. I am looking at the fuse box which is under the dash. I looked for numbers next the fuse, as well as the ETAC that you mention, and could not find anything that matched.

All I know is the from the fuse box -- starting from the Top right going down:

Column 1: Relays - Heater
Column 2: Anti Theft -- these are big relays so in these first two columns for smaller fuses it is Engine (15 Amp) Room (10 Amp). Then next column -- Turn (15 amp) and Back (10 Amp)

Column 3: Cigar (15 Amp), Head (15 Amp), Stop (15 Amp)
Column 4: Radio (10 Amp), Wiper(15 Amp), Heater (30 Amp)
Column 5: Heater Relay, blank, blank
Column 6: Blank, 4a/t (10 Amp), Anti Theft (10 Amp)
Column 7: Saftey Belt (10 Amp), Door Lock (10 Amp) and AMP (15 Amp)

Now there is another set of fuses, or relays in the engine compartment -- but those do not have numbers either.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:24 PM

When I get home from work I will scan the pages that I got my info. from.
One thing that could be a problem is my manual is for a 91 to 93 cars. Maybe some things changed with the second gen cars (94 to 97). I'll let you know.

edit. Check out this short thread, a guy seems to have had the same problem as you. Sadly he never responded back saying what fixed his problem. There is also a picture of the fuse block under the dash I am referring to and the fusible link under the hood.

http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread....arette+lighter

Edit again... http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuses.htm

Check out this link also. When you are done reading about the fuses, scroll to the bottom of the page and go to the homepage of stealth316.com. There is alot of info. there to read.

Good luck, let me know what happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cigarette lighter has stopped working