Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Converter Locked up.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Default Converter Locked up.

Hey guys, im new here... First off, ill tell you alittle bit about my car, then about my Problem...

The Car...
94 3000GT (auto trans)
lots of goodies,

Now, THE PROBLEM.
I started smelling somthing that smelled like an electrical fire, or a burning clutch... i thought this might be the car in front of me, so i went around him, still smelled it. so i pull over, as soon as i get close to being stopped my car chugs a few times and dies.
i got out, checked everything out, all my gauges are good to go, i see nothing noticably wrong. so i start it back up, Starts up Great. as it allways does... pull it into gear, it dies immediatly, so i try a few more times, trying a few differant things... finally i descide to start it, pull it into Neutral real quick and let it roll down the hill running... i get up to about 5 mph and pull it into gear and away I go, as soon as i stop, same thing... so i give up, call a tow truck and haul it home.
I have since found out that the Converter is locked up...

Can anyone tell me anything about this? Common problem? its at the local dealer now, there telling me its gonna cost me 1300-1700 to get it fixed... if this thing were a Chevy id do it myself as i have no problem finding my way around under the hood of a car. but this 3000GT is all greek to me. LOL I love the car and after driving it i fell in love and had to buy it, when i bought it i went overboard immediatly after with the upgrading. and ive fallen in love even more, so im definatly gonna have the thing fixed, just dont know if this price is a good one, or if it might be somthing i can do. but this car looks complicated.

any help would be Great.
Thanks in advance.

Dylan

Old 03-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Default RE: Converter Locked up.

Mechanic Manual

If you have basic mechanic skill and plenty of tools, it is a job you can do yourself. While you are in there, you might as well upgrade some things.

Check here for some ideas of what you can upgrade.

btw, nice looking car.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:20 PM

yeh their great cars but if you plan on keeping it you must also plan on paying a butt load of money to keep it going, especially with upgrades done to it, ive put about six grand into mine. but good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:12 PM

Thanks guys. is this somthing that has happend before that you know of?

Im gonna get it taken care of and back on the road by the weekend... also, my Oil pressure is getting week... not too bad, it just isnt pumping as well as it used too. any quick fixes on this? or should i just go ahead and change the pump, its pumping pretty good still, so its not a big deal yet, just dont wanna let it go too long and spin a bearing or chew up the cams/lifters ext.
thanks for your help guys. and thanks for the comments, I personally Love the car. even if there are a few minor setbacks, like locked up converters. LOL

Old 06-24-2006, 08:59 PM

hey did it made a knocking sound when you notice the problem????