Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

What's the average life-span for a 3000GT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Default What's the average life-span for a 3000GT?

I'm looking for my first car right now and I really started looking further into Mitsubishi's. My brother's friend is selling me his for 3k, the year's a 98', exhaust and intake mods, just changed the water pump, and it has 128,000 miles.

The miles is what concerns me, though. Plus, I don't know whether or not he took care of it but whatever, I'll trust him.

So I'm just looking for some advice on whether or not it's worth the investment and how many miles 3000GT's usually will give until you have to put more money in the car than you actually paid for it.

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Default RE: What's the average life-span for a 3000GT?

thats really cheap for a 98. which model is it?
i would take it to a mechanic to have it looked at even if it was my brother selling it to me. like you said you don't know if he took very good care of it. and for the mileage it has it seems like it might have alot of wea and tear.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: 94 3kgt sl

thats really cheap for a 98. which model is it?
i would take it to a mechanic to have it looked at even if it was my brother selling it to me. like you said you don't know if he took very good care of it. and for the mileage it has it seems like it might have alot of wea and tear.
Not sure which model it is... My brother is going to find all that out... And yeah, I'm not sure if I trust it or not, I'll see what happens though. I'm probably going to get either an Eclipse or a 3000GT either way though

Old 12-13-2006, 09:39 PM

if your interested in it, have it checked. you would have to do this with anyother car you would be looking at. post some pics of it.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:59 PM

If you can get some maintenance info on it,specifically the last time the timing belt and associated pulleys/tensioner were replaced,as with any car,normal routine maintenance is the key to longevity,but any car with a timing bely should be closely looked at.MOST timing belt engines are "interferance engines" that is to say the IF the timing belt breaks,or slips youre valves will be bent,usually the intake ones,and its also gonna depend on how many RPMs it was turning when it broke.I bought a 93 Turbo laser that had a broken belt,found out the girl that owned it was sitting in her apartment parking lot waiting for the security gate to open when hers went,I took a chance,replaced the belt and it was fine,other project cars Ive bought mainly eclipses,all had broken belts,and bent valves.Not all timing belt engines are interferance engines,but the 3000gt ,and Eclipse are....not trying to talk you out of getting it,I think the gt is a sweet ride,and it turns some heads,just do youre homework...Typical change interval for the gt engine is around 60,000 miles,but thats pushing it,Id say 50,000 is about as far as I personally would trust it...lastly,the gt engine has 24 valves,12 of which are intake valves,these are the larger valves,and thats why they get the brunt of the destruction,and IF the belt goes south at any normal RPM,you can expect to pay a shop probably around 3500.00 to have the heads removed,new valves installed,reworked,and reinstalled,this is likely not including the new timing belt,pullesy,tensioner,and water pump.....[X(]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9786/95DFF0A57E6D4176BF8621BDCAB9E03B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-14-2006, 02:20 AM

So I'm just looking for some advice on whether or not it's worth the investment and how many miles 3000GT's usually will give until you have to put more money in the car than you actually paid for it.
I have a pair of 92 Stealths, on RT one TT.
I've had the RT for almost 7yr/60,000 miles, it now has 165,000 on it. I paid $6800 for it and have yet to spend that much in maintenance/repairs/tires/wheels.
I've had the TT for a little over a year and have put a little over 4,000 miles on it. It has 180,000 miles. I've spent a little over a grand getting the 180k service done. I also had the rod bearings checked and replaced. They are the ones (especially the two middle ones #2 & 5) that take a beating and are more likely to spin.

The RT has the original engine. Tranny has about 100k on it.
On the TT, as far as I know, the engine and tranny are original.

So, I would say that they have a pretty long life span, considering they are almost 15 years old and knocking on 200k's door.
Then again, like anything, individual results may vary.

edit: Both of my cars are relatively stock. As with any car, once you start modifying them, all bets are off when it comes to longevity.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:40 AM

Traded my 97 talon in restored condition for my 96 3000gt l/s.Came home on a wrecker,as the timing belt had slipped on the previous owner,it was also primer grey,as he was in the process of some body work,and repaint.Rebuilt the top end myself,and replaced all the critical components in the timing belt system,water pump,etc,and had it repainted.Its got about 131,000 miles on it,and purrs like a kitten.Ive only put about 100 miles on it since finishing the restoral project,and even though its not a turbo,Im very impressed with the ride,and performance,the last two issues Ive got are the bad spot in the drivers seat(leather) and the keyless remote..was trying to find an OEM CD changer to complete the Infinity sound system,but the changer for these cars are too hard to find,and when you do theyre not cheap.. scrubbed that part of the project....[X(]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9786/784043F052EA4CE39B6D6838D3954448.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-14-2006, 04:23 PM

haha did someone switch the letters on the back of your sl. you keep saying its an l/s. haha is cool.
ORIGINAL: n5926g

Traded my 97 talon in restored condition for my 96 3000gt l/s.Came home on a wrecker,as the timing belt had slipped on the previous owner,it was also primer grey,as he was in the process of some body work,and repaint.Rebuilt the top end myself,and replaced all the critical components in the timing belt system,water pump,etc,and had it repainted.Its got about 131,000 miles on it,and purrs like a kitten.Ive only put about 100 miles on it since finishing the restoral project,and even though its not a turbo,Im very impressed with the ride,and performance,the last two issues Ive got are the bad spot in the drivers seat(leather) and the keyless remote..was trying to find an OEM CD changer to complete the Infinity sound system,but the changer for these cars are too hard to find,and when you do theyre not cheap.. scrubbed that part of the project....[X(]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9786/784043F052EA4CE39B6D6838D3954448.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-14-2006, 08:10 PM

Yeah, Guess Im still stuck in Impala mode,the wifes 02 Impala is an LS.....

Old 12-14-2006, 09:30 PM

its cool. i just thought it was funny.

Quick Reply: What's the average life-span for a 3000GT?