Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Default Key stuck in ignition

Hi folks, I will be getting my 97 Diamante ES back from my son soon, and my first priority will be getting the key out of the ignition. It apparently has something to do with the shifter assembly. Seems like the cable from the shifter button won't do anything, so the key will not turn back any further than the ACC position. In other words, it won't turn off! I'm thinking the shifter assembly needs either fixed or replaced. Any advice, and any help on removing it?

Other than that, it runs pretty rough, but I'll worry about that once I get the key out. Appreciate any help and advice.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:59 PM

this shifter assembly has a 'lock-out' underneath... this is linked to the brake pedal and is a safety measure, sometimes the linkages get worn and move around a bit. remove the center console (radio/ac controls first) then undo the screws holding center console in place. remove the metal side panels and check the operation of the shifter button... you should see (in combination with the brake pedal) the little white teflon sort of locking assembly move... if it is not moving far enough, adjust where you can or replace broken parts. i found with my 'd' that if the shifter was not quite all the way to the firewall end, i had the same issue.

goodluck
snoops

Old 01-02-2011, 08:53 PM

Thanks Snoopy. I was getting a little worried after so many views that no one had seen anything like this. While I didn't expect it to be a common thing, I surely thought someone had to have seen it before. Anyway, thanks for the words. As soon as I get the car here, I'll check this out.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:02 PM

Well, after getting the car and looking into it a bit, I see a cable that seems to be binding. It looks like this cable goes from the shifter, up to the firewall, then back up to the ignition assembly. That's as far as I've gotten so far. I am trying not to remove the ignition assembly. Anyone have any tips to help before I go in blind?

Old 05-08-2011, 05:58 PM

Okay, so here's what I did. I found the cover for the cable on the bottom of the ignition. It is a white plastic cover, held in by 3 screws. I took that cover off, and just left the cable disconnected. I am able to get the key in and out now. I guess that now I just can't lock my steering wheel. No big deal...this car is not worth that much.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:39 AM

Well, got the key thing fixed, and finally got around to getting the car in the shop to see why it runs like crap. They say a major tune-up is in order. At least 2 plug wires are arching. I kinda figured that. So that will be fixed shortly and I should be back on the road with it. Woo Hoo...get to save some gas money and miles on my F-250!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by edjunior
Okay, so here's what I did. I found the cover for the cable on the bottom of the ignition. It is a white plastic cover, held in by 3 screws. I took that cover off, and just left the cable disconnected. I am able to get the key in and out now. I guess that now I just can't lock my steering wheel.
I just replaced the ignition lock cylinder on a 99 diamante that I aquired. (It was stolen and the jakes f'd up the ignitnion) as I was replaceing the cylinder the white plastic piece that holds the cable, was missing as well. So I replaced that. I still can't get the car to start or turn over for that matter... it ran before it was stolen, and now... nothing. Any ideas?

Old 01-21-2015, 06:51 AM

Sorry I can't help you anymore. I no longer have the Diamante. I gave it to my son and daughter-in-law and they ended up totaling it. It was a great car though.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by chastain
I just replaced the ignition lock cylinder on a 99 diamante that I aquired. (It was stolen and the jakes f'd up the ignitnion) as I was replaceing the cylinder the white plastic piece that holds the cable, was missing as well. So I replaced that. I still can't get the car to start or turn over for that matter... it ran before it was stolen, and now... nothing. Any ideas?
Where's the KEY of the old ignition lock cylinder? The KEY has a chip that the car recognized before it can be start. You need to duplicate the KEY with programming copying the old key code for your new ignition lock cylinder if that possible. Good Luck!