Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Low battery/brake lights come on

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Default Batt/ Break Light falshing and Batt not charging

"2000 Mit Galant....belts have been squeaking lately, batt/ break light started to flash...took it to Auto Zone to see if a test cold be done to see whats wrong. The car was dead, they said I needed a new batt. No problem, replaced. A day later, same thing happened. Drove back to Auto Zone to test the alternator...they said that was bad. Removed the alternator and took it back there to have it tested on their static tester. It passed, saying it was a good alternator. The alternator is 150k miles old, not too bad. However, if it's "passing" in its output then what is wrong, why wont my batt charge?

Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 AM

bad brushes or regulator

Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Default Brake light & Battery Light Illuminated together

Definitely an Alternator issue.

I had this problem with a 2002 Diamante with 110K on it. No other apparent problems. Turns out the Alternator was overcharging.

Replaced the Alternator with a high quality rebuilt one and problems are solved.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:09 PM

The same thing happened to me and nothing was working. One day I took the alternator plug out and guess what? It was the plug all rusty and was not making good contact.I changed the plug and it all went away......

Old 02-23-2014, 07:56 PM

I had the battery and brake lights on in my dash a few days, and today it died.

I jumped it, and it ran 5 min and died again. So I guess my alternator is dead.

I am looking for an alternator now, Should I not buy a "Bosch remanufactured" one ... instead of the dealer supplied ?

Thanks.
srinath.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:14 PM

According To My Experience(ATME), replaced alternator sold by local stores. So that you have an easy access of replacing it if there's a problem. As long as warranted, your good to go. Make sure to bring your old alternator for a core price and a conformation TEST before you buy a new one. You could choose a more expensive depending on your budget. Practicality sake, OEM will last 10-15 years.. how long your car last in your care? What do you think? Assuming, buying a cheap warranted one could cost you half of price and of course could not last morethan OEMs. OEMs cost 200-260, Autozone reman, cost 130..Good luck..

Old 02-24-2014, 01:21 PM

I cant find OEM under $560.
I can get bosch remanufactured for 140 or so shipped.
My local stores have nothing for this car ... so I'm SOL there.
I'm thinking of buying the remanufactured bosch.
I hope to get a few months out of this car, and then sell it for the other diamante we were rebuilding.

Cool.
Srinath.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:34 PM

That's nice, If your building to sell, well set-up an account for PAypal or ebay billmelater. There's a lot of new and used parts for Diamante available on Ebay. You will have a good profit over it when you sell. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 AM

I am hoping to get a nicer and better diamante for my wife, the one we have is pretty nice, but the other one has a nicer body.
I got ripped off buying a motor from a junkyard in Ohio, the motor mount was busted off on the front and other problems, My idiot mechanic pulled the motor from the car saying it was bad, cos it didn't turn over ... yea, the accesory belt snapping and snagging in the cam belt will do that, and he never even checked for anything like that - I am never going to make a profit.

The idea is to get the nicer body and get another 100k-200k etc out of it. The current one is the runner, 170k miles and a dead alternator, but it also has a Idiotic re-paint job that is a darker grey over the original silver, and both are peeling etc etc ... I hope to sell it in nice running condition to someone I probably would know (old neighbor, old colleague etc) and help them out on going basis with a good mechanic (not the idiot) reference etc.

Cool.
Srinath.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:03 PM

Seems you have a passion over these cars. You got a point of getting a nice body where you can replace a motor if needs to be than a body repair or a paint job. You can't take a profit over a high mileage but sometimes you have to point out to the buyers that these cars could run upto 300k flawlessly. High mileage could sometimes easily dispatched if it has a single owner. You can easily traced busted parts on it. Well, you need to have a 2nd mechanic to ask for 2nd opinion on your critical decision making otherwise, it could cost you a lot for nothing. Good luck..

Quick Reply: Low battery/brake lights come on