Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Mivec V6 into '99 Diamante

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Default Mivec V6 into '99 Diamante

Has anyone tried to install a 3.8 MIVEC V6/ 5 speed automatic tranny from a new Eclipse or Galant into a '98 to '04 Diamante? I am interested in getting a bit more power and updated technology in my '99. I am assuming I will need Engine/transmission, electronics and wiring harness but what else? Any help in putting a plan of action together would be great. Also, does anyone know if I can use a manual tranny from an Eclipse in this swap. Just covering my bases.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Default Engine Swaps

Hello,
I have not done this particular swap, however, I have learned one lesson from doing numerous of other swaps. Find out what the options are on the donor car. The pin inputs to the ECU often change depending on the options. Good Luck.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:22 PM

why not just drive the new galant or eclipse, which is a much better and more modern car overall?

theres more to driving than just power.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:16 AM

Good point, but I love my Diamante and just want to see if getting a salvaged engine/tranny combo is price effective. My Diamante is paid off, has 90k and I think it is the best looking Mitsu ever, except the 3000GT VR4 of course. The Galant IS a nice car, but the look is not for me. Thanks for the input though.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 AM

I would estimate just the cost for a salvage motor and trans plus ecu, wiring harness, motor mounts, etc. and not including any of the labor involved or custom made parts needed, would be far more than the current value of your Diamante. It would probably be cheaper, easier and more powerful to turbo or super charge the 3.5

Old 04-29-2009, 12:22 PM

Hey thanks, thats seems to be a better idea. Anyone know an American omapny that makes a kit for a Diamante?

Old 05-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Nope; not even any Amercian companies that make any aftermarket performance parts. You would have to import a kit from Autralia where the Diamantes are built and some suppliers are located. StIll a big and expensive job and it will need a custom tune after all the parts are installed. I would first update the suspension (and brakes) as you will need that before any power upgrades; stock handling is the weakest part of the car. I bought a Whiteline suspension kit from down under and it totally transforms the handling and is a fun corner carver.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Default Brakes and suspension

Thanks Dmicro! The brakes and suspension were next on my list. I looked up Whiteline and they have some goo products. Eibach also has a few kits out there but they are only springs. Speaking of brakes; I was researching a 13" Brembo kit for either a 3000gt or an eclipse. Can one of these work. I know Mitsu did a lot of parts sharing between lines. I am also going to look in the brakes forum too but if anyone has any ideas please speak up.
Thanks.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:00 PM

Springs won't really do much for handling on their own; you'll also want a strut /'shock that is designed to work with a particilar spring. The Vogtland springs and GR2's work very well together for a daily driver, that's what I bought off ebay. When installing a lower spring, easiest thing to do is notch the bottom mounting hole on the strut to adjust for negative camber; this works better than adjustable strtut mounts or eccentric bushings, and holds alignment settings better too. The sway bars from Whiteline make the biggest difference, along with the front strut tower brace. The stock sway bars are tiny in comparison; the front is a major job to install though as the exhaust has to come off. I ended up taking mine to the shop to get the front one put in.