Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Need HELP with 92 Diamante: Strut + brake line = ???

Old 09-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Default Need HELP with 92 Diamante: Strut + brake line = ???

Hi, I need help..
I have a 92 Mitsu Diamante. I am in the middle of replacing the front struts.
I completely repaired the passenger side with no hitches, but when I got to the driver side, I discovered that the brake line runs through a bracket mounted on the strut, wraps around the strut, then back through the bracket. It is put together in such a way that the line is bolted onto the bracket on each side, where to remove the line from the bracket, I would need to unscrew the actual line, losing brake fluid.
To get the strut off, I can only figure that I need to A. bleed the brakes and undo the line (which I've never done before), or B. I need to hacksaw the bracket and get someone to replace the bracket at a later date.
Have you seen this?? What am I suppose to do??? and Why did mitsubishi design it this way??? It seems pretty dumb. or maybe its me.
I'm posting this under the technical thread also.. hope thats ok.. I need help!!

I appreciate any help.. frustrated diamante owner

Old 10-30-2004, 08:23 AM
Default RE: Need HELP with 92 Diamante: Strut + brake line = ???

Usually on most cars the brake line passes through a bracket (plate) on the strut and held in place by a retainer clip. I generally cut the braket at the top right in the midlle of the hole where the line goes through bend the plate and remove the line. I can send you a picture if you want e mail me melsa1@melsauto.com