Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

problem with motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 02:27 AM
Default problem with motor

hey guys, dont know if this is the same thing that is already in the forum but I have a 92 jap import daimante been going fine for months. But coming home the other day the motor kept cutting out on me, but as soon as u turned the key again it went fine. But i noticed each time it cut out you could hear a relay clicking. and even just with the ign. turned on sometimes this relay(from glovebox area) would go mad with clicking. We finally got it home and looked under the bonnet and chk all wires, which seem to be fine. Started it up and it ran fine again. But today i went to start it and it wouldnt start, it turned over but wouldnt fire up .. I disconnected the battery for 60 secs and then put it back on. Still it wouldnt start, i then left it for a couple of mins then turned it over and it finally started. Do you think this is a coputer problem or something else? the car other wise has been running sweet, also started without problems

Old 05-22-2005, 12:34 AM
Default RE: problem with motor

Hello sirusdash,

By disconnecting the battery you may have cleared any fault codes your ECU (Electronic Control Unit) may have stored. To pull the codes on your 1st generation Diamante go here ----> http://www.diamanteowners.com/compon...59402/catid,1/

To find out where your ECU is located go here ---> http://www.diamanteowners.com/compon...59759/catid,1/

To determine if your ECU is going or gone bad go here ---> http://www.diamanteowners.com/compon...7288/catid,18/ these photos are from the TCU (Transaxle Control Unit) but if your inspect your ECU computer board you might see the same problems of corrosion and parts going bad on the board.

Based on your brief description, it sounds like your ECU board may be or has gone bad

TG
Keep us updated on what you determine has gone wrong.

Old 05-22-2005, 10:15 PM
pc

Check your ignition switch. Being a 92 it's possible it needs replacement.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:29 PM

thanks for your info guys, have tried to bring out the codes from the ECU and that seems all fine. the car has been now running again for like 2-3 weeks with out problems. Have checked with Mitsubishi motors in NZ here and they said it was mainly the transmission ECU's that had problems and have really never come across major probs with the engine ECU in NZ. poss spec that the fuel was the problem and poss had water in it, so currently going down to purchase a new fuel filter to help it out

Old 06-17-2005, 11:22 PM

so....its the fuel system.[:-]

Old 07-08-2005, 07:23 PM

well my problem is back, the car was starting and then drive off down the road and it stops. Then starts fine again, but now it wont start at all...... .
just chk the codes out from the ECU and its reading 12-13v from the diag plug no pulse at all coming from the pin. I have chk the transmission pin and that pulses fine

DOes this mean the ECU is stuffed?

Old 07-08-2005, 08:16 PM

well thanks for yea help but now i have just located the problem...yep u guessed it its the ECU a cap has leaked and cooked the resistors so now its time for replacement ECu i think

Old 07-08-2005, 10:01 PM
pc

Try an ECU rebuild company. Should be cheaper and will probably upgrade any problem areas.