Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

shaking inbetween 45 MPH and 65 MPH???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Default Changing the tie rods....

by changing the tie rods it help significantly, so everyone that is saying that the tie rods don't cause vibration, apparently doesn't know what they are talking about...

Beat: by changing the tie rods it help, i than changed the brakes front and back, rotors front and Driver side front caliper, and the shaking is still there between 50 and 60 but it is only about 15% as shaky as it was before the tie rods were changed...

my next couple things to check are balancing the tires and an alignment....

if that doesn't work than i believe it might be the strut on the the passenger side!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

A strut will not cause a vibration. Also I'm w/ manybrews tie rods will not cause a shimmy either just play in the steering.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by tfeesl
by changing the tie rods it help significantly, so everyone that is saying that the tie rods don't cause vibration, apparently doesn't know what they are talking about...
anyone that thinks it will is foolish.
but i guess ill listen to the person that has owned what... 3-5 cars? and fixed what? 5-10?
or maybe ill tell him that since ive worked on mitsus for 17 years (conservitively 10000 cars, give or take) that im quite certain worn tie rods cant cause a vibration.
apparently you don't understand the harmonics of vibration. a tie rod has no motion. it has nothing to be out of balance. a vibration can be both transferred through it and into it, but it cant induce one on its own.
everything vibrates at some frequency, but youre talking about a dynamic vibration, as in the car has to be in motion. since the tie rods are in the exact same motion whether the car is moving or standing still, the vibration is not originating from them. otherwise, the car would vibrate the same no matter what speed you're traveling.
No, you need to focus on things than are changing dynamically as you move. The wheels/tires are almost assuredly to blame, but obviously warped brake rotors, wheel hubs, bent axles, and any other part of the car that is changing its frequency AND amplitude as you accelerate is the culprit.
i suggest you have a quality, roadforce balance done to your tires. keep in mind that just because a tire is balanced does NOT mean it wont vibrate. you can balance an egg, but it sure wont roll smoothly. hence the reason for a roadforce balance.

Last edited by Manybrews; 10-21-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Banned

Hahaha. Lamb for the slaughter.

Get an alignment and a balance.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:40 AM

i was gonna say check balance, and possibly your tires need to be replaced as they get worn they need to be rebalanced and also, if they are too worn ive seen them vibrate no matter what

Old 10-30-2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Manybrews
anyone that thinks it will is foolish.
but i guess ill listen to the person that has owned what... 3-5 cars? and fixed what? 5-10?
or maybe ill tell him that since ive worked on mitsus for 17 years (conservitively 10000 cars, give or take) that im quite certain worn tie rods cant cause a vibration.
apparently you don't understand the harmonics of vibration. a tie rod has no motion. it has nothing to be out of balance. a vibration can be both transferred through it and into it, but it cant induce one on its own.
everything vibrates at some frequency, but youre talking about a dynamic vibration, as in the car has to be in motion. since the tie rods are in the exact same motion whether the car is moving or standing still, the vibration is not originating from them. otherwise, the car would vibrate the same no matter what speed you're traveling.
No, you need to focus on things than are changing dynamically as you move. The wheels/tires are almost assuredly to blame, but obviously warped brake rotors, wheel hubs, bent axles, and any other part of the car that is changing its frequency AND amplitude as you accelerate is the culprit.
i suggest you have a quality, roadforce balance done to your tires. keep in mind that just because a tire is balanced does NOT mean it wont vibrate. you can balance an egg, but it sure wont roll smoothly. hence the reason for a roadforce balance.

i have actually owned more than 3-5 cars and i fix cars (all kinds) as a hobby and was brought up by mechanics my whole life! so remind me manybrews to not let me have you ever fix my car...

ok, the wheels and tires are approx. 80%, rotors have been replaced, hubs are still in good condition, axles are straight...

when front end is in air, driver side tire does not move, passanger side tire moves from side to side but not up and down....

i never said that the tie rod ends was where it was originating from, what i said was that when i changed the tie rod ends MOST of the shaking went away....

also when moving the passenger side tire the springs on the strut move... hence why the strut is causing the vibration which is why the strut needs to be replaced....

will be changing it sometime next week and than will have update!!!

until next time! ttyl

Old 10-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

The strut isn't going to fix your steering wheel vibration.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:58 PM

struts will not cause a "vibration". they cause noise, bad handling, and "wobbling" sounds.
but like the tie rod, they dont cause vibration.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Banned

What everyone is trying to say here regarding tie rod ends or struts not causing vibration is that there are things that cause vibration and there are things that allow vibration to be felt. Vibration that is speed sensitive is caused when a rotating part of the car has an imbalance. The non-rotating parts of the suspension act to dampen the vibration, but if the non-rotating parts such as the tie rod ends or struts have any looseness, the out of balance part is free to vibrate more excessively and that is why changing a worn tie rod end will reduce the felt vibration. The tie rod end wasn't causing the vibration, it was allowing vibration from a rotating part to be more excessive.

I would go with Manybrews's recommendation that the first place to look for vibration is road force variation, or RFV. That is what happens when a tire is not truly round, or has a variation in the stiffness of the sidewalls around the tire. You can have a tire that balances perfectly on a balancing machine that will still vibrate when rolling on the ground. Think about it - you could balance a square tire, but it wouldn't roll smoothly. Only a Hunter GSP9700 can measure RFV. It does that by pressing a roller against the tire as it is rotated by the machine. The variation in force is measured and expressed in pounds. If there is excessive RFV, the GSP9700 can determine if re-indexing the tire on the wheel will reduce RFV, or if a new tire is needed.

For a Diamante any RFV over 10 pounds can be felt as vibration. Many tire stores will consider RFV of 15-20 to be just fine, but with the Diamante you really need it to be 10 pounds or less. That is because of the low unsprung weight designed into the suspension to make it perform better.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:57 PM

brews is right guys. something moving that is out of balance or bent causes vibrations. i am assuming that your referring to a diamante?? what year?? 97-2002 had some issues with drive axles. there was a tsb on this issue, but i cant remember exactly what it said. i remember if the serial #'s on the axles had certain numbers or letter in them they were to be replaced. another key diagnosing tip for bad axles is, vehicle vibrates worse on acceleration, especially heavy. vibration goes away when letting vehicle coast. also if you have access to an automotive lift/rack you can raise your vehicle up, put the car in drive and observe the axles in motion, if one is bent or out of round, it will be easy to see. should not be much movement at all in the shaft portion of the axle assmebly.

Quick Reply: shaking inbetween 45 MPH and 65 MPH???