Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Timing issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Default Timing issues?

I have a 1995 Diamante ES 3.0. (California model) Regular service until 2005. The car now has 250,000 miles and was running pretty good up until last week. The timing belt broke. I brought it home replaced the water pump and timing belt. While setting the timing I attempted to turn the non distributor side(the side that is facing you when you open the hood) cam (the belt was broken so I am turning the cam independently to set the timing) It wouldn't turn as easy as I am familiar with from doing other timing jobs. So I took the cam out and inspected it, I did not have a sprocket tool so I pulled it out as one piece. I did not pay attention to exactly how the cam was sitting in there. The cam did not look damaged so I reinstalled it. (I have access to Mitchell on demand and Chiltons manuals so I did not do this ***** nilly, I went by the manual.) I put a lot of force and got the cam to rotate to set the time. It turns like this easy, easy, hard. And I mean really hard. Anyway I set the timing put it back together and now it runs like it is only firing on two cylinders. I checked and it has spark in all the wires. The only way to start it is to keep it to the floor (flood mode). Once it starts you can feather it to keep it running but it is obvious it is only firing on two to three cylinders. It will not move under its own power. I am not a mechanic but have been working on my own cars for 25 years now. This has got me stumped.