Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

wont start up

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Default wont start up

Please Help

I was working on my son's Diamante, I just needed to replace a front driver side fender,head light, signal light, and grill. In order to bang out the frame by the signal light, I had to disconnect and removed the battery and windshield water bottle, after successfully removing and replaceing all the mention components, I put the battery back in place and hooked up the lights and water bottle. When I try to start the car, I only get a small click coming out of a relay(looks and sounds like) that is on the driver side just under the glove compartment, All my lights work,the dash board, the radio and when I turn the ignition key the head lights don't even blink. The car was working just fine before.

QUESTION: When I disconnected the battery for a long period, Did the ECU maybe went into a security state, and needs to be reset???

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Default RE: wont start up

Start with the simple things. Recheck the area that you worked to ensure you did not accidentally disconnect something. Then take a hammer and lightly rap on the starter. Then check and see if the starter is getting power when you turn the key. I do not believe there is any "security" mode.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:26 AM

ORIGINAL: roman067

Please Help

I was working on my son's Diamante, I just needed to replace a front driver side fender,head light, signal light, and grill. In order to bang out the frame by the signal light, I had to disconnect and removed the battery and windshield water bottle, after successfully removing and replaceing all the mention components, I put the battery back in place and hooked up the lights and water bottle. When I try to start the car, I only get a small click coming out of a relay(looks and sounds like) that is on the driver side just under the glove compartment, All my lights work,the dash board, the radio and when I turn the ignition key the head lights don't even blink. The car was working just fine before.

QUESTION: When I disconnected the battery for a long period, Did the ECU maybe went into a security state, and needs to be reset???

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
re-set the brain, let it rest for about 10 min. (after disconnecting batts.) then start the engine ( it takes 3x to fire it up) also, check your batt. connection, make sure its in the right contact. that small click is from your ignition.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:24 AM

Hello Roman067,

The ECU (Electronic Control Unit) resets itself after the negative cable bttery cable has been romoved for 20 seconds or more. This will clear any "Trouble Codes" that the ECU may have stored. I'm not sure what year your son's D is, but the ECU on my '92 is on the passenger side and up the right wall. The ECU (unless fried) should not keep the car from starting.

As Winshaw suggests, go back over your work / connections. Check your fuses inside and under the hood while your at it.

Feel fee to go here and ask your questions as well ---> http://www.diamanteowners.com/index....oard&Itemid=30

TG