Mitsubishi Eclipse & Eclipse Spyder For years, the Eclipse line has stood for cutting edge styling and performance at an affordable price.

1997 Spyder convertible top question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Default 1997 Spyder convertible top question

First time owning an Eclipse and so far I really like it. Only problem is the convertible top isn't working. I stripped the back end out and found the motors. (After I put the switch back into AUTO from MANUAL) and they are engaging. But the top wouldnt go up or down. So I took the motor off and it will spin the gear (the one that engages the top) but as soon as I apply pressure the gear stops trying to engage. So I pulled the motor apart and found the gear INSIDE of the motor that spins the OUTSIDE gear. There is the (could be) problem. It spins but when I apply pressure to it slips and stops spinning.

On the DRIVERS side of the car the motor has not engaged once. I put that motor on the passenger side and it engaged and vise versa and had the same result on either side so atleast there is some constancy.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem to this and or know what the current problem is? And if so how to go about fixing it (preferably without alot of $$$) I saw those motors and they looked pretty expensive.

thanks for taking time to hear me out, and thanks in advance for any opinions!