Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

05 rear latch

Old 12-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Default 05 rear latch

My 2005 rear door and glass will not open, the hatch had problems on and off I would have to pull and hold handle for release then after a few weeks worked fine I did not have issues with the glass then one day both stopped opening I can only open from inside any fix it ideas or feed back would be great!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:27 PM

You are not alone! I posted about this problem on Dec. 12th. According to the service manager at my Mitsubishi dealership, there is a micro-chip inside the latch mechanism that may be faulty. A diagnostic check would cost $42. I had scheduled an appointment to get the diagnostic, and I washed my car at the do-it-yourself. After the wash, I checked the tailgate, and the gate and the window both opened, after being stuck for 3 days. It was fine for 3 days, then it got stuck again. I sprayed it with hot water at the car wash again, and it un-stuck again! Maybe the cold weather here (eastern Mass) is affecting the micro-chip. If it happens again, I will have the diagnostic run. One thing though. The service manager said that the tailgait and the window operate on separate systems, yet both get stuck in the lock position at the same time.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Default latch

It was -43c here last week and after our 11pm hockey game I opened my hatch fine ,but after driving home the neither hatch would open,latch handle seemed to be moving but no latch release,let it sit in the garage overnight and in the morning all worked fine.what to do now, I have also had the problem of no power brakes when leaving the mitsy out in the cold overnight,habe brakes but must press pedal very hard.talked to dealer and booked in $300 later dealwer had no idea,really handt,I guess here incanada brakes are a luxury not a requiement,any ideas???

Old 12-20-2009, 12:51 PM

Like I said, my service guy said there is a microchip in the latch mechanism that may be frozen. Maybe the thing is just running out of power after 5 years. Go to your Mitsubishi service dept. and have a diagnostic run on that microchip. I am having the same problem here in Massachusetts. Hot water from a power spray seems to work to release the latch, but it has been a temporary solution.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:36 PM

TY for advice guys I will just have to get the sensor checked because I have had the problem before the temps dropped!

Old 10-15-2010, 11:01 AM

I am having the same problem. I have read elsewhere online that this is very often caused by a malfunctioning handle on the glass portion of the door which causes the entire hatch to be locked shut as a safety override.

To check this remove the little cover at the bottom of the hatch from the inside and pop the lever in there to manually open the glass. There is also a lever in there to open the hatch. Remove the inside cover for the glass handle which is held in place by 2 phillips screws and a little plastic connector in the middle. Unplug the wire connector to the handle. (There are two connectors in there, the larger wire goes to the windshield wiper motor.) Anyway, if this is your problem, your hatch will now function again. You just won't be able to open the glass which to me is no big deal since I never use it anyway. They say the handle assembly is about 35 dollars from the dealer if you want to replace it yourself.

This was not my problem, but it apparently has worked for a lot of people. It's easy.....only took about 10 minutes so hopefully it will help some of you.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Default 2006 Endeavor Liftgate Problem

I have had the same problem. I disconnected the glass switch, replaced the actuator, and it still doesn't work. I also have had a problem with the gate suddenly actuating itself. Any solutions or do I have to take it to the dealer.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:13 PM

Anyone ever replace the ETACS ECU??? I have cleaned both the hatch and window switchs with no improvement. The funny thing is when I unplug and then plug in the hatch switch, the latch releases and then locks. I need ideas people! Thanks!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Default Problem solved.

I was able to fix my problem by replacing the rear liftgate latch. Check the switch by unplugging it and use an ohm meter to check the switch. It should show "open circuit" in the closed position and less than 2 ohms in the open position. Hope this helps someone.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Default Glass handle/switch

The glass handle/switches are know to fail on Endeavors as well as the handle for the tailgate/hatch. The dealer gets $100 for the part. I have been able to find them online used, but haven't bothered to replace it since chances are the part will eventually fail. Unfortunately, there is no way to fix the part. larcodding is right, an ohm meter will tell you if you have a bad switch. Check out this clip for more info Endeavor back door - YouTube. Mitsubishi really should have done a recall on these.