Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

2004 Endeavor - whistling

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Default 2004 Endeavor - whistling

I have a 2004 Endeavor, it recently started whistling when I drive it. It started at 40 MPH, then the dealership adjusted the roof rails and it starts at 50 MPH. It winds down when I stop. Its a whistling, squealing noise. All of the belts have been checked. Its been to the dealership 4 times , mechanic 3 times with no luck. Not really sure what to think. I was told its turbulence. If that is the case then why did it just start? Has anyone else experienced this?

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Endeavor - whistling-endeavor.jpg  
Old 10-08-2015, 06:19 PM

Yes I know what it is first hand. I also have an 04 Endeavor. The whistle noise has been talked about on this site many times over. It's the $800 drive shaft that's making the whining whistling noise. I learned too late from this forum that the 04 Endeavor is plagued with problems. Has your air conditioner started leaking onto the driver side floor yet? Good luck.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:19 PM

Hey Rapunzel41,

I have a 2011 Endeavor and just got it checked out. It turned out to be a bad drive shaft bearing. The noise first started at 50MPH and would stop at 40MPH, but after driving if for a month the "whistling" noise started sooner at 30MPH and stayed whistling until it dropped under 20MPH.

Luckily, my Endeavor was still under warranty, but since it was fixed under the warranty the dealer does not repair bearings they just replace the whole drive shaft. You may be able to find a mechanic who can replace the bad bearings in the drive shaft, but I'm no mechanic.

Best of luck to you.

Matt

Old 10-17-2015, 07:00 AM

Regarding the whistling drive/propeller shaft bearings...I'm not a professional mechanic either but some vey good friends of mine are. The drive shaft is sold by Mitsubishi as one part, not in pieces. My friend told me about a guy that said he could cut the bad bearings off the drive shaft and weld on good bearings from a good/used drive shaft. Ok, so now I would have a drive shaft welded together like the Frankenstein monster that hopefully was going to turn at high speeds in a nice balanced manner. What happens if the shaft is now "off balance"? Will it create a vibration or shudder that you will now feel through your body as you drive? And how long will those good/used bearings last? (The bearings were not available by themselves through Mitsubishi or an aftermarket source). I did not want to find out the hard way that the cutting and welding route was a mistake. After all, I still would have to pay for all the labor and used parts involved. Compare that price to the $800 cost of a new drive shaft plus labor cost. That's your call. My call was the new shaft.If I did not say this earlier, the reason I had the shaft replaced was not for the whistle noise, which was annoyingly present. My Endeavor had developed a strong vibration at 30 to 40 miles per hour. My mechanic/friend check the drive shaft and said the bearings were so hard to turn by hand that he felt they were almost frozen. He said they should turn easily by hand. I went for the new shaft. The vibration was still there but the whistle noise was gone. The vibration turned out to be the torque converter in the transmission. I have not had that fixed or replaced at this time. There are some additives that can be added to the tranny fluid that may temporarily smooth out the vibration. In my case, it did. About a year after I first added GM rear end additive the vibration started again. A transmission shop my friend deals with told us to try a different additive before going for a trans repair/replacement. I don't remember what that additive is called but I could find out if anyone requests that info. That vibration has stopped once again. I'm hoping to avoid the transmission repair for another couple of years of my sons college tuition. Hopefully the truck will last another two years. After that, I will get rid of it and never buy another Mitsubishi again. Good luck and stay safe.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:53 PM

Thanks everyone! I will mention this to the dealer who has had the dang thing in SIX times for this!

Stay safe everyone!

Old 12-06-2015, 10:41 AM

One of the good additives for the tranny is Lubeguard. As far as I know the only Mitsubishi approved additive. The ones working for our Endeavors are LubeGuard : Platinum and ATF Protectant . (there is a chart on their website)

Old 07-13-2016, 11:21 AM

Drive shaft drama! Apologies for taking so long to post again. The drive shaft was dry, they lubed it. All is well!

Old 07-17-2016, 08:26 PM

I solved all my Endeavor problems a few months ago. After buying a nice set of Continental tires last August I then had new brake calipers installed on all four corners. I even had to get a new battery in Novemember. Then a loud whining noise started and was diagnosed as either the transmission or the fron differential. The tranny did have other problems that I talked about. At this point I was done. We started looking and wound up with a 2015 Subaru Outback. Never again will I buy a Mitsubishi. Good luck to all of you. My advise...get rid of that Endeavor before it's too late.