Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

'97 Montero Sport Engine Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Default '97 Montero Sport Engine Questions

Please delete MODS. I clicked the wrong thread.

Hello I am new to these forums. I had a friend refer me over for better advice on my montero sport. I have very basic knowledge of mechanics. Most of my knowledge comes from aircraft. So the following this is the specs for my car and what I am attempting to work on. This is a third hand used Montero and being driven by college student! I need to make two 160 mile trips a week this summer. So I need as honest as possible answers. Because I need to know if it's to expensive to fix my problems.

'97 Montero Sport 3.0 L V6 SOHC 2x4
155500K miles

The other day while getting off the freeway last thursday I noticed my oil light would flicker at stop lights. I checked my oil level and found it quite a bit low. Well the light still flickered for the rest of the day. It has a not done it since last thursday. Friday I took it in the shop for them to look for the problem. At the end of the day they never looked for the problem because the light never came on. Instead they said I needed new spark plugs and wires because it's idling rough. They were going to charge me $1000 for the job.

So today I went out and bought spark plugs and a new wire set. How much stuff do I need to remove to get down to the spark plugs? Also do I need to replace anything besides the wires and spark plugs?

On the oil problem. The engine eats oil like its candy. I smell burned oil in the engine bay and notice fine smoke coming from the filler cap when it's removed and hot. I can hear the oil lifters when it gets low on oil. I know that is bad! I have only let it get is low only twice. Most of the time though when I check the levels it doesnt even show on the dip stick. Also the exhaust is quite thick white smoke during the winter and for a few minutes during the summer. The exhaust smells of oil and fuel. I want to place a oil pressure gauge to see if I need to replace the oil pump according to my cousin. So what is the process to do this and what readings am I looking for?

So am I getting in deeper then I need to with this suv?

Last edited by ARflyer; 05-20-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:37 PM

you have the bad valve stem problem that comes to all mitsubishi v-6 motors and it sounds like leaking valve covers and cam and crank seals but you can change those when you replace your timing belt and water pump along with the pulleys i rent out the tool to replace the valve stem seals on the car all you need is an air compressor and a weekend to do the lob as for the oil light hook up a gauge to the motor and see what it says ill will bet that you need to replace the oil sending unit