Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Air Conditioner issues - 06 Endeavor

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Default Air Conditioner issues - 06 Endeavor

Since the beginning of September, I began to notice the fan was intermittently stopping. It began with speed 1, and had progressed to the point where speed 1 and 2 had completely stopped working. I noticed the green "A/C" light on the fan **** was also not illuminating at the same time (telling me it had to be something other than the fan motor). When speed 3 started going out, I decided to go ahead and take the time to diagnose and fix the problem. After days of research and speaking with a tech at a local Mitsubishi dealer, I confirmed the blower motor resistor was slowly giving up the ghost. I replaced it, and the fan seemed to work flawlessly..... for about 10 minutes.

Now, before I continue, I'll also add that I started to experience a "whoosh" sound coming from behind the dash when I'd make a left turn about a month ago. At the time, I didnt know whether this had anything to do with the fan issue but, when I was replacing the resistor, I discovered a virtual lake of water in the passenger floorboard. After some research, I came to the conclusion the drain was clogging. After I replaced the motor resistor, I decided to track down the drain hose in the firewall (a very difficult task), and snake a wire into it to see what happened. A gallon of water leaked out, and the swoosh went away.

Back to the fan issue. Although the fan seems to start spinning initially, it stops after a couple of minutes. I hear a fluttering sound coming from the housing, seemingly from the fan blades getting caught up in something (?). But, Im just not sure. Since I had re-installed the dash/glovebox etc, I dont have quick access to the motor anymore to check further. I do wonder, though, if the water that had collected somehow fouled up the blower motor or fan?

I may look into replacing the blower motor. But I dont want to spend the time/money replacing the motor if that isnt the problem. Im going to check to see what individual components can be purshased instead of the entire motor assembly.

In the interim, I wonder if anybody has had a similar situation and found the resolution? Any suggestions?

Old 11-25-2010, 10:57 PM

UPDATE - I came across TSB-08-55-007, which references my precise symptoms. So, now I wonder if I am supposed to take it to the dealer for the fix. Is a TSB identical to a "recall"? Seems it's similar, except the manufacturer conveniently keeps the information to themselves on a TSB, choosing not to share the info unless there's a call/complaint about a specific problem.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:44 PM

TSB stands for technical service bulliten. TSB'S are intended for dealership personel. not the general public. a TSB will address issues that are going on with a particular vehicle that is bieng reported by many dealers nationwide. it will address the particular issue and give a confirmed fix or countermeasure for the issue. TSB'S ARE NOT RECALLS. a RECALL is a RECALL. and a RECALL will be made very public and any owners of a recalled vehicle will be notified by the manufacturer. your problem is a common one for the endeavor. when your a/c system was clogged the water backed up into the ductwork and got into the blower motor, usually they just short out and quit working. the blower motor will have to be replaced. if your a/c system clogges up again TSB-09-55-002 is another viable option for you to consider. durring the summer months i do this repair almost daily. good luck!!

Old 11-28-2010, 03:17 AM

Thanks for the confirmation on the blower motor issue, jgb.

Also, that was pretty much what I figured regarding the TSB. Am I correct in assuming something referenced in a TSB isnt a covered/free repair at the dealer? Its purpose is limited to a shared in-house repair process for an unanticipated but now common occurrence only? If so, I'm not bothering to waste my time/money and lose my vehicle for days if it's not something I can get repaired on Mitsubishi's dime. Im smart enough to do my own research and figure out the DIY repair if that's the case. The way I see it, Mitsubishi got enough of my money when I bought the truck. =)

Old 12-01-2010, 11:34 PM

if you want it fixed right,take it too the dealer

Old 12-29-2010, 08:55 AM

you surely need to change the ac or atleast take it out and service it once. make sure u clean all the debris .