Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Engine Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Default RE: Engine Issue

The dealer's mechanics couldn't get the car to misfire yesterday, so I told them I'd come this morning and start the car with them and show them. So I did, the car misfired like crazy so at least they knew I wasn't crazy. :-)

The mechanic was surprised that the computer wasn't picking up the problem because that would tell him which cylinder was misfiring and he was thinking it was a coil boot. BUT, without knowing which one it was, they'd have to replace all 6 which meant taking off the intake. They'd already removed spark plugs 1-3 and they looked new, but they wouldn't want to take the intake off twice. (So, how expensive is the 60k service when they need to replace all the plugs????)

After I left, they hooked up the laptop to the car and worked with people on the tech line and determined that the problem was a failing coil boot on cylinder #1. Apparently this is a rare problem? Rare enough that nobody in town had the part, so it's being overnighted and they'll have it Monday and I have their '07 endeavor off their used lot until they're done with my car. A nice effort by my dealer (Roby Mitsubishi in Dublin, Ohio) and Mitsubishi.

I just hope they're right!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:01 PM

After another week at the dealer, it appears that the problem is fixed!!!! Huge kudos to Mitsubishi and Roby Mitsubishi for putting forth such an effort and resolving the problem and taking care of me while they figured it out.

It turns out that the problem was a failing ignition coil on cylinder one that was causing a misfire the computer couldn't pick up. They couldn't duplicate the problem on their own so I went out the next morning and started the car for them and it missed like crazy. They were able to take it from there with tech line, increased sensitivity on the computer and a laptop or something. I then had to wait for the part to arrive and be installed. Of course someone got into my car and ransacked it, taking cash (maybe $20 in coins) and my radar detector (several years old and not really worth anything - I was looking to replace it anywhere). Insult to injury? To make that up to me, the detailed the interior of my car and it's amazing. The dealer also gave me a used '07 Endeavor to drive while they were figuring out what was wrong with my car. I don't think I could have asked for more.

I also like the way Mitsubishi got involved. I had an issue with a Ford dealer trying to screw me on warranty repairs and Ford refused to stand behind me or their product. I'm much more impressed with Mitsu.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:44 PM

Glad to see they got it right for you. Most dealers do try to do whats right by the customer.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 AM

has anyone figures out the fix for shutter @ 40mph . Feels like going over bumps in road. Please Help