Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

hiss/metallic grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Default hiss/metallic grinding noise

Hi:

This is my first post to this forum. I have an Endeavor LS AWD that I purchased as a program car w/ ~30,000 miles on it. First off, I love the way that the Endeavor looks and really enjoy driving it. It was my compromise for needing a family vehicle and not wanting to get a boring mini-van or run-of-the-mill SUV.

Over the past couple of months, my Endeavor has developed a hiss/grinding metallic noise coming from underneath the vehicle. It typically starts when I hit between 30-40 mph and remains constant until I drop below 25 mph and the noise suddenly stops. The noise reminds me of listening to a sink faucet running full open in an adjacent room and when it stops, it makes sounds the same as if someone slowly turns off the faucet. At first I thought the noise was coming from under the dash, but it is noticably louder when the windows are down and is definitely coming from under the vehicle. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but this is my first "new" vehicle and I am a bit timid about tearing into the problem myself. I had the dealer ride with me, but unfortunately after they rotated my tires, I was unable to duplicate the problem at in-town driving speeds.

Has anybody experienced this or a similar problem? If so, what was the problem and its resolution? Thanks!

Old 07-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Default RE: hiss/metallic grinding noise

the exhaust might be grinding on the under body because it might not be put on properly or it could have something to do with your drivetrain

Old 07-23-2005, 01:38 AM

Do you hear it with the windows up? I noticed a really loud wind noise issue with the "dumbo" mirrors the E comes with. Other than that, it's brake pad time at 30K.

HTH

Bill

Old 11-01-2005, 10:35 AM

I have a grinding noise coming from the front right side. I only hear it at low speeds with the windows up and all accessories off. The noise starts out as a rattling as if something is loose and progresses to a grinding or crunching noise.

The dealer replaced the strut and that worked for a few days, but then it came back and sounded like a rattling as it did in the beggining and then progressed to a grinding.

This last time I brought it in, the dealer said they found two things wrong that might contribute to the noise:

1. The oil filter shield was bent back and hitting the drive belt.
2. The bushings were not lubricated.

The dealer took care of both these issues and sent me on my way. It sounded good for the first day, but then the noise came back.

Part of the problem is that when the truck is put on a lift, the noise temporarily goes away so the dealer can not hear it when it comes off. By the time I get home, it starts all over again.

I know of one other person that I found in another forum that is having the same problem with their Endeavor. I also know of one person from the other forum that is having this problem with their Outlander.

Anyone else? Hopefully someone out there had this problem and it's been resolved.

Old 11-19-2005, 10:12 AM

Just bought my '04 Endeavor last weekend. It has 38K on the odometer. I brought it in for a new key, and the service mgr. told me there was an open warrantee item regarding a driveshaft issue. He asked if I heard the 'scuffing" noise between 30-40mph. At that point no, but last night, I did notice it start around 40, disappeared at 50, then back between 25-40. This may help, I'll follow up after next week when ALL my stuff gets done.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:26 AM

try looking at the drive axles to the rear and see if there are any noticeable wear marks on it, perhaps it's slightly out of balance or something like that. Fortunately my AWD system is working great at 28K on my Outlander.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:29 PM

Hi!!!!!!

I just got my 2004 endeavor, and have the same problem, but mines is when i hit over the 70 Miles of speed, and it get louder if I try to increase the speed, just wen I low the speed it came out, this is driving me crazy, if somebody of you know how to resolve this problem, please let me know jmsv79@yahoo.com

joseph

Old 07-20-2006, 10:58 PM

I was researching this SUV in 2004 and saw this complaint somewhere on the WWW. If I recall correctly, the problem was a defect in the drive shaft of some AWD vehicles. Because of this, I opted to buy the 2006 version with FWD.

Had anyone ever reported this problem on the FWD Endeavor?

Old 07-20-2006, 11:22 PM

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.

Models: Mitsubishi Endeavor, 2004
Number Potentially Involved: 29,330
Dates of Manufacture: January 2003 - May 2004

Defect: On certain AWD sport utility vehicles, the retaining bolts that attach the drive shaft to the center bearing flange and/or the rear differential flange may be missing, not sufficiently tightened, or over tightened. If the retaining bolts were to fall out, the drive to the rear wheels may be interrupted. In the worst case, the driver shaft may fall down, increasing the potential for a vehicle crash.

Remedy: Dealers will inspect the assembly and replace the bolts if necessary. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification is expected to begin during August 2004. Owners may contact Mitsubishi at 1-888-648-7820.

NHTSA Recall No. 04V314

Important Note Regarding Auto Recalls: Frequently this site will list auto recalls before your dealer will know about them. If you have a vehicle affected by one of these posted recalls be sure and write down the NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number. If your dealer doesn't know about the recall when you check, ask them how they are notified of recalls and when the next update is due.

The information contained herein has been obtained from sources that the Company believes to be reliable, however, the Company has not independently verified or confirmed the information and the recipient acknowledges that no representations or warranties are being made in connection with the use of the information.