Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

noisy motor or trans at startup

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Default noisy motor or trans at startup

I have a 04 endeavor. Starts fine. If u put it in gear makes a loud groaning noise. Noise will go away after it warms up. You can let it warmup for 10 min or so and it won"t do it. Definetly worse when its cold out. Don't have to be moving, just in gear. any ideas

Old 12-29-2010, 08:41 AM

if the gear is giving noise then it has to be transmission issue. check the transmission mount for faults and also check the transmission liquid if it has turned brown . if it has, then get it changed.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:07 PM

unfortunatly sounds like your front pump is in the beginning stages of going bad. cant fully diagnose here but i have seen a few do that. pretty soon the noise will not go away when warm, and get louder. you get the picture where this is going. need to get it properly diagnosed before major damage occurs.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Default motor or transmission noise tip

Sloving your problem:
Over time, wear roughens your motor and transmission pistons, shafts, gear teeth, pump, sshalf, and shift parts. As those roughen surfaces slide, push, and pull, doing their job, the roughness causes friction chatter. A form of wear resistence develops - like maybe, what chalk does when the angle creates that high pitch noise as you try to keep the chalk moving. That may be what you hear and feel. Make any sense?

If so, eventually, expensive repair will be needed. I've had good success using a product containing friction modifiers to re-smooth the surfaces. Doing so tends to put off the repair need. The brand that works best also adds anti-wear, and conditions the fluid. Just add them and drive. Driving a bit with the product smooths those parts, then coats them to end the problem. Mega Power makes this product for stick shift and automatics. Order online. Over the years, their product has given me and my customers a great smooth shifting ride again, freed of friction caused problems. Hope this tip works for you, too.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:28 PM

Would something like
this this
help?

Old 05-11-2015, 06:25 PM

I wonder if that noise was ever figured out as my 04 Endeavor AWD is doing the same thing. Maybe somebody has some new knowledge on this cold start-up noise.