Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Spark Plug and Wire change

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Default Spark Plug and Wire change

Anyone changed plugs and wires on an Endeavor? Tips?

Old 10-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Banned
Default RE: Spark Plug and Wire change

Just have a spark plug socket with an extension. Thats all you need : )

Oh, and only remove ONE at a time. Dont pull out all the spark plug wires because they need to be in the right order. So one at a time ensures you dont get it wrong : )

Old 10-30-2007, 12:44 PM

No wires to change, it has a coil over each plug. One bolt holds down each coil.

MN163807 Spark Plug $12.92 each ato your dealer.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Banned

Its coil on plug?

Old 10-30-2007, 05:32 PM

Yes

Old 10-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Banned

Oh, well those hardly ever go bad. They are also 100 bucks a piece so i would hold off on those

Old 02-22-2008, 10:10 PM

I recently changed the plugs on my 04 Endeavor.

The first three are easy because they are easily accesible right up front. As mentioned in another reply, just one bolt to take out to remove the coil pack over each plug.

The real fun comes with the rear three plugs which are hidden under the intake manifold. There are seven bolts that secure the manifold to the block; the trickiest two being the ones in the very back. The bolt in the back on the passenger side I got off by leaning over the engine and reaching behind and just feeling for it. I finally figured out that the best way to get the bolt in the back on the drivers side was to lay under the vehicle and reach up through the engine from below; there is actually a straight path right up to the bolt and there is just enough room to shine a light up in there so you can see and also be able to get your arm all the way up there to the bolt.

After you get the main 7 bolts off, there are a few other bolts and things you will need to remove to be able to move the manifold out of the way. Remove the section of air intake tube between the air filter box and the throtle body, then a bolt in the metal bracket just below the throttle body that holds it in place. Remove a bolt up front on the right side of the manifold that holds the main wire harness to the manifold. Follow that wire harness to the left side and see how there is a metal bar that several wire connectors are mounted to. This metal piece slides out of a couple of plastic slots in the manifold. I didn't have to unclip any wire connections. I may be forgetting something, but the manifold should be free to pivot up now. I used a bungee cord connected to the hood to hold it up out of the way.

As always when removing the intake manifold, it is a good idea to put a towel or sock over the openings so nothing accidentally falls in the engine! Once you're to this point, its fairly simple again. Just switch out the other three plugs and put everything back the way you found it.

This was, personally, the hardest spark plug change I have done, and it took way longer than it should have; but I don't claim to be a mechanic either. So, if you have patience and can figure out how things work, you should be alright.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:52 AM

I have also changed the plugs, front and rear. The rear plugs were a challenge! 10 minutes for the front and a good 3 hours for the rear three. I had purchased a shop manual on CD from Ebay after purchasing the 2006 Endeavor last year with 30,000 miles. I highly recommend the manual. Good luck. Another question though, I was getting conflicting info on the life expectancy of the original set of plugs. I heard 'change after 30,000' and then I also heard or read the original set is good for 100,000. Didn't know for sure so I changed them with some 80,000 mile plugs, Bosch I think.

I must say though, we REALLY like this vehicle. After owning a Chevy Equinox with 18 dealer visits in 3 years, it's nice to have a vehicle I can have confidence in.