Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Timing Belt change leads to noise

Old 05-23-2015, 02:44 PM
Question Timing Belt change leads to noise

Hi All.

Recently had my timing belt changed, and water pump, and pulleys and after driving away I'm getting a rattling noise coming from the engine compartment. Sounds like the valves aren't seating properly or maybe not enough oil getting to them.
Problem started when I was going down the hiway and the end cap on the auto tensioner blew off and I didn't realize. Next morning, started it up and heard the valves hitting the top of the cover or so it sounded like. No engine light came on as I was able to drive it to the dealer...not too far.
They got back to me and said the valves and guides were fine. I questioned this because they said they never took the head off, can you tell without taking the head off? Anyway, any ideas on the rattle noise folks. All answers appreciated.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:22 PM

OK...so had it checked out and it seems to be an exhaust valve..only one it sounds like...any idea on what can be done to lessen the noise...short of removing it?...heavier weight oil, etc.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:09 PM

Under what conditions do you hear the noise? Cold or warm engine, idle or certain RPM? I doubt the valve noise would be a result of timing belt change. Something else is in play here. How many miles on the vehicle and what engine?

Old 03-07-2019, 09:40 AM

Monteros at least have hydraulic lifters, and probably yours does too. Air can get in them while they are not in use. Look up the revving procedure to get the air out of them. I think it is: Start engine and let it warm up. Hold engine RPM at 1500 for a few seconds, then, rev to 2500 steadily during 15 seconds, then drop to idle. Repeat 30 times. Look it up though. I had to do this twice to my Montero before the problem went away and never came back. In the meantime, it sounds like the death rattle of an engine though, quite unnerving.

Make sure you are putting the correct oil in.

Make sure it is full, not over full.