Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

whistling noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Default whistling noise

Two days age I started to hear a whistling noise when i'm driving.Noise is coming somewhere from the center or passenger side of my 06 endeavor.
For sure is not a turbo.It starts at speed 35-40 mph.Anybody has idea.Dealer has no clue.Brake are ok.I notice some oil on the drive shaft next to transfer case.I got only 35 k miles.Thanks for suggestions.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:08 PM

Peter, My new 2010 Endeavor whistled since new.. So far they have changed the Transmission and valve body.. They tell me, about 7600.00 bucks worth of work..
The noise/whistle is still there..
My whistle starts at 81 KMS an hour.. and stays there while driving above that speed..
It is not a wind noise, it sort of sounds like feed back noise..
Good luck with yours.. My dealer is still struggling to correct it..
The Mitsubishi Rep is involved too..

Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 PM

Bob-b,you did not make me happy with this.However,truck is not losing power,nothing else except this driving me crazy whistling noise.Sometime even worse,because is going away like nothing and coming back from nowhere-strange.It is not coming from vibration nor throught the wind.Dealer told me to set radio louder.
Any experience with mitsu rep ?

Old 12-22-2010, 05:58 PM

Peter.. The Transmission and Valve body were replaced trying to get rid of that whistle.. There was no loss of power, or anything else.. it was just an attempt at Noise reduction.. and it failed..
As it stands now, my Vehicle awaits for a call from the Manufacturer.. The dealer seems stuck for an answer.. I'm trying to be patient, but very difficult..
I just want the whistle to go away, or replace the vehicle! Is that asking too much? I wonder..

Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 AM

if both transmission and valve have been worked on and if still the noise persists then i am afraid you'll have to take it to a better dealer. coz u definitely can't sort these kinda issues yousrself, unless u r a professional.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bob-b
Peter, My new 2010 Endeavor whistled since new.. So far they have changed the Transmission and valve body.. They tell me, about 7600.00 bucks worth of work..
The noise/whistle is still there..
My whistle starts at 81 KMS an hour.. and stays there while driving above that speed..
It is not a wind noise, it sort of sounds like feed back noise..
Good luck with yours.. My dealer is still struggling to correct it..
The Mitsubishi Rep is involved too..

have you had the chance to test drive a similar vehicle (or another new vehicle off the dealer lot) to see if it also has the same noise or not ?

The Endeavor is an All Wheel Drive vehicle, what you could be hearing might be a normal characteristic for such vehicle. My Dad has a AWD Chevy SUV and it does have some driveline "whine" present.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:54 AM

p_mori7
Yes, I've test drove others.. Not to mention the one I test drove before I bought the one I have. I would never buy a vehicle, nor would others...., that made that sound.. The dealer hears it, the REP hears it, but they are stuck as to what it can be..
I'm at the point where I want another vehicle! There are now rattles in the dash, and a wind noise at Highway speeds.. ( one nice thing, at higher speeds, you don't hear the whistle, because of the darn wind noise blowing through the firewall.. or windshield??)

anjy834u
I am no where near a Mechanic.. and I don't envy them this problem.. I still have faith they will solve this, but I am losing patience.. When you buy a new vehicle, it should be in your driveway more then it is at the dealer/garage!.. So frustrating..

Old 12-30-2010, 10:58 PM

if your endeavor is an all wheel drive i have seen a few rear differentials make strange noises, whistle, whining type of noise. one i cured with using a thicker gear oil than what came from the factory, the other 2 had to replace the rear differentials. also on the all wheel drive models i have seen the center support for the driveshaft deteriorate, collapse and make a squeeling sound. got louder at high rpm's. had to replace support. not much else i can think of at this time. start turning up the heat on the DPSM and things will progress much faster. sorry to hear of your trouble, the endeavor has been a pretty solid vehicle. hopefully the dealer will find your issue.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:30 PM

My 05 does the exact same thing. It sounds like what a jet engine would sound like from a distance. It isn't loud, just annoying. It has done it off and on for some time. It goes away for long periods and then it comes back. It almost sounds like an air noise to me, like it is blowing a certain way across a piece of trim. I'm sorry I can't be of any help, but I do know the noise!

Old 01-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Default It's your drive shaft...

Have a 2008 AWD and we had the same experience at around 35k. The drive shaft was misbalanced. They replaced it with a new one and the same issue happened. They replaced that one with another new one and it fixed the issue. I just hit 70k and am waiting to see if it come back again. My dealer knew about it and several other people have had the same issue posted on different forums. 35-40 mph. is when it starts up.

Quick Reply: whistling noise