Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Why Does My AC shut down???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Default Why Does My AC shut down???

I have an '06 Endeavor with 18,000 miles on it. I got it last fall, so I haven't used the air conditioning until recently. It works really well, but on some longer trips, the AC shuts down for a minute and then turns back on. Of course it gets warm in the car when it's off. I've never had a car do this before and it doesn't seem right.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Old 05-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Default RE: Why Does My AC shut down???

not normal.
have it looked at. Should be warrantable unless theres a rock through the condensor (or something like that).

Old 07-08-2007, 07:54 PM

David, I just discovered that my 06 Endeavor (with 22k miles)has the same problem. With AC on and fan on 1, the green ac light went on and off. With the fan at 2, the green ac light stayed on solid. My guess is that it is a fuel saving ac temperature thing. I put the fan on 2 and adjusted the temperature control a few clicks away from the coldest setting. But the ac flicking on an off with fan setting at 1 bothered me and seemed not normal. What are your findings on the recommendation to have it looked at? Is it normal? Thanks, Bryan

Old 07-09-2007, 07:36 AM

I haven't been able to take my car in yet. Here's a response I received on www.mitsubishi-forums.com:

I just wanted to reply to this post. I too have an '06 Endeavor that had a similar issue to DavidE where the AC shuts down intermittantly. After about an hour of driving the AC compressor would shut off. I have about 15,000 miles on mine. At first the AC would just shut down and starting it again would take several presses of the button. Later, it cycled on/off 4 or 5 times. The problem was a A/C pressure switch open circuit. The fault came up during a scan of the computer system. The fault was DTC U1404 (Dynamic range fault). The A/C freon pressure switch was replaced.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 PM

My Endeavor is finally in the shop for the AC issue. They couldn't make it code today and they say they spoke with Mitsu techs. Unless it fails while they have it or the code shows up while they have it, they say they can't replace the part under warranty. This is b.s. It happens to me on every decently lengthy trip. This is the second time I've had this type of issue with Mitsubishi. It's like they don't believe you if it doesn't mess up while they have it in the shop, but they're not using the vehicle on real road conditions when the problem occurs. Why is it that the car's computer doesn't register and store these codes while I'm driving??? My AC shut off just this weekend for goodness sakes!

I told them they could keep the car for another day to work with it, but I'm seriously disappointed with Mitsubishi service in comparison with Ford and Hyundai.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:01 AM

I was a little frustrated when I posted last night. After speaking with the dealer today, it sounds like they're trying to find the issue and have been speaking with Mitsubishi, but they're having no luck.

There are at least 4 of us with this issue on this board and another one, so according to the dealer Mitsu should have a file on the issue. But they don't.

Maybe people don't see it as a problem?

Old 08-07-2007, 08:02 PM

if its an 06 with manual air, it probably needs a new control head. its a known issue. usually only effects the AC when set to fan speed "1", though.
it often also shows the incorrect outside air temperature.

and how exactly are you surprised that they cant replace something unless its broken? Are they just suppost to randomly replace things in hopes it may fix something?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:16 PM

Replied to in typical Manybrews fashion! ;-)

They tell me that they spoke with Mitsu for hours and there is no known issue. How do I convince them otherwise?

So, if they can't get it to shut off and on, how do I get this problem fixed? They've had the car for 2 days and gotten nowhere. Not for lack of trying mind you, but they aren't any closer to fixing the problem.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

if its an 06 with manual air, it probably needs a new control head. its a known issue. usually only effects the AC when set to fan speed "1", though.
it often also shows the incorrect outside air temperature.
I stopped by the dealer to pick up my car this morning and asked about the fan speed. They tried different speeds, so I suggested that they leave it on "1" and see if that brings up the problem. I figured it wouldn't hurt to leave it with them for a third day if they had something new to try.

They said that the '04s had an issue with reading the incorrect air temperature, but the '06's don't.
If it's a known issue, is there a TSB or some Mitsu document I could suggest they review?

Thanks for your assistance.

I don't have the Limited, so I don't have a display of outside air temperature.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:40 PM

Well, they got nowhere again today. I'll just pick up my car and see if there's any way I can force it to shut down for them. Sigh....

Quick Reply: Why Does My AC shut down???