Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Evo owners...how do you like it? any problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Default Evo owners...how do you like it? any problems?

Hello everyone

I'm in the market for an evolution and am now in the process of research...basically i loved the evo prior to this US edition and was dead set on getting one...so far i've found that tranny probs are frequent, there are complaints of a weak clutch, and other weird electronic / engine mishaps that i've found way too much considering what condition the car was in...so, to get some stuff straight, I would appreciate any feedback concerning your experience so far, so pls shoot away!
any midwest ppl's insight would be gladly accepted also! (we don't have smooth california streets!)

Old 10-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Default RE: Evo owners...how do you like it? any problems?

im not an evo owner but i havent really heard of too many problems with em, aside from people who drive em like they really are race cars i cant see how they would have a whole lot of major problems, all cars have minor problems when you first get em, thats what the warrenty is for............ if the suspension is anything like an eclipse i dont really have any problems on the road, i live in MO and the roads here really suck, and even though i need a new suspension, i know my eclipse can still hold the road very well, you will obviously feel the potholes and bumps in the road but at higher speeds you seem to float right over them........... all in all ive heard they are great cars, and u can get a lot of extra hp out of em by doin minor changes.............

Old 10-24-2004, 02:11 AM

Weak clutch? It's AWD of course, the clutch will go because, of the amount of torque that hits that and the flywheel because, of no wheel hop, or spin. I haven't heard of any tranny problems, or many other things, but not many people have them around MN I've only seen like kids in high school whos parents bought them the car, so I haven't asked many people about them.

Old 11-20-2004, 06:32 PM
RDA

hey akemi27 i drive an EVO3. dont worry bout the EVOs, they have been driven in the World Rally Championship and they dont have streets like Cali there too. And Evos earned a nickname of a brick because they were the most reliable cars in the Championship. They hardly had suspension problems there, even the stages were very rough. Like nate5023 said, the clutch will go because of the torque. but dont all cars have clutch probs especially if they are powerful?

Old 02-13-2005, 09:38 PM

I have had an Evo VIII for a little over 1 1/2 years now and have had no problems...

If you read the Evo boards, you will hear several clutch related posts, but if you don't drive it like an idiot, the clutch will last a long time...

Old 02-16-2005, 03:36 PM

I also drive an evo VIII and love it i did have a clutch problem but i got a huge deal on the car because it was a demo and the factory replaced the clutch and fly wheel and the dealer covered the labor. But they had it back to me quick and i have not had a problem since.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:10 AM

its an awd like the sister gsx eclipse, tranny is gonna be the pain in the butt thing for it.

Old 03-09-2005, 02:57 PM

my friend had an evo and it had a strange problem it would randomly stall and not come on for like 2 minutes and then start right up fine. it was completely stock an he hadnt messed with it at all, the dealer couldnt find the problem either so he eventually traded it in. thats the only time ive heard of a problem though

Old 03-29-2005, 11:06 AM

I drive EVO 6 TME, and yeah although Im using double plate synter clutch it is easy to kill it, but hey like others said it is not a problem but sheer power :-) Ive got aroung 400PS, and you have to got used to the idea that it is no stock at all. Other problems? Yeah once I killed my 5th gear, but fortunately the magnet caught the broken metal piece so there were no further damage done. Otherwise the car is absolutely fantastic. Tough, sporty, the girls go crazy when you corner in, so go ahead buy one for yourself, you wont regret it.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:14 PM

Ive had my Evo 8 for about 2 years now, the only problem I have right now is 4th gear grind. Apparently, there's a TSB on this issue.