Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Help i need to change a clutch >which one is the best?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Default Help i need to change a clutch >which one is the best?!

i have EVO 9 and i aready have problem .clutch is burning? list of the mods :
trust filters
trust intercooler with pipe
HKS ssq
Greedy ti racing exhaust
tomei down pipe + turbo outlet + manifold
std ECU
my next is to buy clutch kits that its good for daily drive and i dont know what to have ..?
Thanks ....

Old 12-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Default RE: Help i need to change a clutch >which one is the best?!

Exedy is very very well know and liked in the EVOs but they cost $$$$$$$$$ alot. The ACT clutch series should be fine but the pedal is usually harder to press with ACT

Old 12-27-2006, 09:45 PM

beware... the heavy clutches are far more prone to create crankwalk.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

How many cases of crank walk hae you seen really?? I hear more complaints on drive train problems than motor issues. Come on now the stock motor people are running at 500HP with no crankwalk we are not talking about a 2G DSM here. I know you may have seen some things further than me being that your a tech but these motors are not that prone to walking

Old 12-28-2006, 12:30 AM

I had an Exedy twin plate carbon fiber clutch installed in my car that cost like $2500. It was done locally. Pedal pressure was nice, but it made all kinds of noise. It also wore out in 900 non racing, street driving miles. I e-mailed and called exedy to find out what might have caused this because I wanted to rectify the problem andreplace the CF plates. Nobody ever got back to me. So, I had Turbotrix put in the ACT clutch and fidanza flywheel when they did my engine build. The pedal is a little stiffer, but very manageable. Needless to say, I was very disapointed in the Exedy and the lack of support from them. I didnt expect any sort of warrany. I just wanted to fix the problem and rebuild the cluth since I paid so much for it. Thats my .02 !!!!

Old 12-28-2006, 01:35 AM

Ive heard of the carbon clutches doing that. My buddies RX7 had the same problem. now he is on a Spec Stage 4 or something like that is a puck clutch and the pedal is really soft but it grabs extremely hard

Old 12-28-2006, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

How many cases of crank walk hae you seen really?? I hear more complaints on drive train problems than motor issues. Come on now the stock motor people are running at 500HP with no crankwalk we are not talking about a 2G DSM here. I know you may have seen some things further than me being that your a tech but these motors are not that prone to walking
seen 2 cases of crankwalk on the evos. both involved aftermarket clutches.

yes, they do it far less. but if you overwhelm the maximum load of the thrust bearing with a super heavy clutch, you can get crankwalk in any car.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:47 AM

Hi im a newbie here but im planing to get an Evo soon. Im still lost what Evo should i get VII,VIII,IX which of the three is the wise choice.
Which one is the best for tuning??
Thanx alot i hope you guys can help me.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:04 PM

If you live in the U.S. you will not get a VII. The best bang for the buck is the IX it is faster stock and takes mods alot better. but even The VIII is awsome car and if your a little short on cash the VIII wil do wonders too. They are only a few tenths slower in the 1\4

Old 01-01-2007, 09:03 AM

Thanx with regards to the price of the VIII and IX?? Ill be ordering it from the Philippines and also im considering the parts around which is hard to find in the Philippines, which if something comes up with the car i have to ship it.which takes couple of days. i was wondering which of the two is better to buy with less problems.