Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

New User, potential Lancer Evo purchase..

Old 07-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Default New User, potential Lancer Evo purchase..

Well I figured, as I did with my 350Z I'd come to the enthusiast forums for the answers to some of the questions that won't be answered by a sale reps. I'm interested in purchasing a new 2008 Lancer Evo (X) and had a few questions to current owners...

1) Height Restrictions, I've seen the dimensions but have yet to go for a test drive. Anyone about 6'4" and driving the Lancer Evo in comfort? I'm sure a test drive will self-answer this question for me, but figured I'd ask.

2) First Year Problems? Any recalls or problems that current owners are seeing? How is Mitsu responding to these issues?

3) Price, what did you negotiate for a final price?

4) Any must have options?

I really appreciate in advance the input as I'd like to make this purchase soon before the end of summer then into winter.

Thanks
Sully

Old 07-09-2008, 02:17 AM
Banned
Default RE: New User, potential Lancer Evo purchase..

I can only answer number 4.

The REAL 5spd is a must have option. None of this paddle crap.

As far as problems right off the bat, I havn't heard anything, really nothing. Also, nobody actually has one on this forum.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:01 AM

First of all dont listen to sebba
1) youll be fine. they are tall headroom cars
2)not that I have herd of?!?!?!
3) no one here has one
4) Sebba is retarded. If you want to shift as normal 5 spd/6 spd then dont get the paddle shifter. If you want fast perfect percise shifting get the paddle shifting

Old 07-09-2008, 08:40 AM

Well I appreciate both of your inputs... I unfortunately might go with an auto/paddle just do to my daily commute into the Boston area. Every so often I take the Z and by the time I reach my office I feel as tho I've hit the gym for the day... Not to mention life expectancy of the clutch...

Interesting to hear no one here has one, is that a clue to something?

I'm looking at the MR model, loaded with all the bells and whistles... I guess the best thing will be a test drive to figure out some of the specifics, but again if anyone has some input on this please post up. At this point I'm seriously pulled between a 335XI or the Lancer Evo MR... both offer what I want.

Thanks Again!
Sully

Old 07-09-2008, 09:11 AM

what town are you from i live in bridgewater. 30 mins south of Boston

Old 07-09-2008, 12:14 PM

I heard from other forum about the clutch problems. That it get stuck when shifting gears but I think it was just a bad mouth posting from a different Japanese car company. if there is really a problem It will be posted on this web site.

I paddle shifter is great if you don't drive manuals and paddle shifters is not even offered on any other Japanese cars especially the dreaded WRX sti.

Only Mitsubishi offers paddle shifters and where can you buy a car under $32,000 with lots of electronic advance gadgets.

The car is awesome nothing to compare it with other Japs cars. It is one of a kind and it is VERY VERY fast.

You can beat a BMW M3 on the highway without any problem. I'm not sure with the Subaru WRX STI though but I am sure they are head to head.

Please do not purchase the Subaru it smaller and it's really not a appealing to the eye.

The 2008 Evo Lancer is more appealing and I wish I can see more of them on the street in Boston. I never saw one on the street but see them on the floor show or dealers.

buy it and be prepared to buckle your seat belt it is very very fast.

trust me I only drive the 08 Lancer and it performs flawless on highways.
just imagine the EVO X it will perform better and faster.

0 to 60 is easy and you can over take 4 cars in about a second with no problems

Buy it and enjoy, it will be great on snows and especially curves.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:12 PM

- Emonz

I live a little NW of Boston, Waltham...

- BEAT

I'm very familiar with the manual, my 350Z is a 6 speed... Traffic is horrendous at time in and out of Boston during rush so I'm think with an Auto, I can essentially go on Auto-Pilot during the heavy crap in the morning. Plus the AWD is the huge ++ for me... I need to have something I can rely on during Winter. The 350Z is an awesome Spring/Summer/Fall car, but during the Winter is suffers from a terribly light rear as was the problem with most if not all the Mustangs. Ton of torque but no weight to keep the rear on the ground.

Not really looking to Fast & Furious anyone but good to know it has some powa for those on ramps..

Old 07-09-2008, 03:20 PM

Sorry I wasn't telling to be fast and furious but when you drive aLancer or a Evo that's how most people think. As I read on other forums

It is true it easier to past other cars with our beloved Mitsu because of high torque and acceptable HP.

Snow will be no problem. I was on the last Nortestern on 95 South
everyone were sliding except me.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Banned

Also remember that you can roast the clutch on the paddle shift too. Its a twin clutch design, but you can still roast it. I know people that have done it.

I heard question as to the durability of the clutch, but nobody has had the car long enough to tell.

Anyone can kill a clutch quickly. Lets face it, nobody is going to buy this car because they think it is a good economic 4 door, they buy it because they know what its capable of, and its good for their style of driving. So they generally end up driving the car hard. My brothers clutch in the Lotus lasted 20k ish, because of heavy autocross, and track use. EMonz will also tell you that his clutch on his EVO VIII was just fine with a decent amount of miles.

A good reason why nobody on here owns one, is because most people on here are younger, and have zero money.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:32 AM

My VIII lasted almosted double the average clutch life of a VIII. most people are replacing clutched at like 20-25k miles because they beat on the car. I had mine in at 40k when I was upgrading due to high HP. the clutch still had life on it when it came out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New User, potential Lancer Evo purchase..