Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

2000 Galant - Starter or ignition problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:01 AM
Default 2000 Galant - Starter or ignition problem?

I have an '00 Galant with 147K miles. At random times when I turn the key to start it, it will start fine, but the starter sounds like it continues to be engaged on the flywheel. I immediately have to turn the car off and try again and usually it does not do it the second time.

I tried replacing the whole starter with a one I bought at a junk yard u-pull salvage yard and the same thing happens, so I'm thinking its in the ignition.

I tried sraying silicone spray into the keyhole of the ignition. That kind of helped but it still does it.

Do I need to replace the ignition and if so, where to I go to find one, and how hard is it to replace?

Old 08-31-2014, 07:37 PM

Nobody has any thoughts on this?

Old 06-20-2015, 10:43 PM

I'm still having this problem on occasion & hoping someone can help.....

Old 07-03-2015, 11:31 PM
Default Had a similar problem

I had a similar problem with my mom's Galant.
I removed the covers to get to the ignition, removed the ignition, test it with a flat screw driver(turning it like it was the key) and it was working fine(this over ruled any starter problem). Replaced it and was working fine for a few days until it stopped working again. In the beginning I thought that it was the ignition(the carbons inside) that was broken got one from a junkyard but after replacing it the problem arose again, then watching my mom starting the car I realized that she was turning the key way too strong. Seems like the ignition gets loose and did the same again. Seems like somebody who tried to fix it before me had cut a bit of the plastic surrounding the 2 star screws that hold the ignition for a quick fix. I just tighten the old ignition and ask my mom not to turn the key too strong so she won't loose it again.
Is not hard to get to the ignition just need a philips to remove the covers, a T15 screw driver(L shaped preferred) to remove the 2 screws holding the ignition, and a flat screw driver to test the ignition.
Hope this helps, if I had to do it again I'll take some pictures for you