Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

check engine light, srs light during startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Question check engine light, srs light during startup

Just purchased galant 2002 and so far it's been wonderful.
But have two possible problems which concern me.
One is that every time I turn ignition key I see the lights on the dashboard
light up. The ones that stay on the longest are the 'check engine' and 'srs'
lights. They go away in about 1-2 seconds later. Not sure if this is normal
or if something is about to fail. Also, when I brake sometimes I hear 'crunching'
sounds when car is almost stopped (maybe 2-3 miles/hr). I don't hear it every
time, I believe it might just be tires making those sounds on the wet pavement (so far everytime I've heard the sound it was raining). Anyone can
confirm this.

thanks a bunch in advance for all the wonderful replies.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:01 AM

As long as the lights go out everything is passing the system checks. If you aren't one who does any of your own car repair take it somewhere that does free brake checks to make sure your pads aren't worn down to the rivets and starting to grind into the rotors.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:16 PM

thanks. But what i meant is does these lights flashing up at all means that
the engine will soon be unable to pass these tests. Or is that just a normal part of starting up the car for every light to flash up and some of them just stay on longer ?

thanks
Originally Posted by BrokeDad
As long as the lights go out everything is passing the system checks. If you aren't one who does any of your own car repair take it somewhere that does free brake checks to make sure your pads aren't worn down to the rivets and starting to grind into the rotors.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:40 PM

no it doesnt the lights always flash on when you start your car for a self test. once the quick test is passed and if everything is ok the lights will go back off.

as for the brakes sometimes this happens when water gets on the pads i think. however i would check your rotors and brake pads and make sure they are ok. my car for the first time in 2 years made that grinding noise yesterday but i was on a super steep hill and had just gotten into my car and the car starting slipping back down the hill, lol. so i had to push on the brake pads and then for the next few minutes it made a noise. i had just replaced my rotors and brake pads though.

you might also want to check your brake fluid. if your low that could explain the noise as well.