Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Engine Swap

Old 08-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Default RE: Engine Swap

ORIGINAL: RedGalant2k1

The 6a12tt and 6a13tt from the Galant VR4 is not a simple swap to the USDM 1999-2003 Mitsubishi Galant. They have different chassis, suspension, electronics. For all intensive purposes its a different car. As for what engines the Galants came with? Prophet is right.

1999-2003 had the 4G64, a 2.4L 4-cylinder engine. It also had the 6G72 a 3.0L V6, both normally aspirated, both SOHC. The 4G63 was never used in this generation. However as was mentioned you are best off using a 4G63t from the EVO5+. Several of our members have done this swap, its much easier, and MUCH more cost effective than using (let alone finding) a decent 6a13tt.

Which btw, the 6a13tt is used in the 8th Generation Galant VR4, and the 6a12tt was used in the 7th Generation Galant VR4. As for the mivec engine from the FTO? Your still better off using the EVO's turbo 4G63. The 3kgt version of the 6g72 is mounted 180 degrees different from the Galants 6g72. So even swapping from the 3gkt to a V6 Galant is a chore and pointless.

The 4G69 was not used in a Galant until 2004 with the 9th generation.
Thank you Dave! Glad to see another member who has good information to give.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 AM

ORIGINAL: RedGalant2k1

The 6a12tt and 6a13tt from the Galant VR4 is not a simple swap to the USDM 1999-2003 Mitsubishi Galant. They have different chassis, suspension, electronics. For all intensive purposes its a different car. As for what engines the Galants came with? Prophet is right.

1999-2003 had the 4G64, a 2.4L 4-cylinder engine. It also had the 6G72 a 3.0L V6, both normally aspirated, both SOHC. The 4G63 was never used in this generation. However as was mentioned you are best off using a 4G63t from the EVO5+. Several of our members have done this swap, its much easier, and MUCH more cost effective than using (let alone finding) a decent 6a13tt.

Which btw, the 6a13tt is used in the 8th Generation Galant VR4, and the 6a12tt was used in the 7th Generation Galant VR4. As for the mivec engine from the FTO? Your still better off using the EVO's turbo 4G63. The 3kgt version of the 6g72 is mounted 180 degrees different from the Galants 6g72. So even swapping from the 3gkt to a V6 Galant is a chore and pointless.

The 4G69 was not used in a Galant until 2004 with the 9th generation.
Thank you for that RG. At least you provided some info with relevance to the OP's topic and not spam your site or the site you prefer just to recruit new members.
What you're saying is just what I've been trying to tell the OP. It's pointless to swap out a 4g64 for an N/A 6g72 from the 3kgt...again, what's the point? That and every swap into that car is going to be a chore.
The 8G Galant didn't come with a turbo motor or AWD nor is there an "easy" swap. Any motor swapped in is going to be a chore. My car was a chore because it is, for all intents and purpose, a different car than the Eclipse.
The point of my reasoning for the 6a13TT is the compatibility of the electronics such as the 4g63 electronics was to mine.
Here's another point and question for you RG. Does the 8G Galant have an shaft tunnel? If not, what's the point of doing a swap with an AWD motor (directed towards myself and my previous comments) and also, what's the point of trying to make a powerful motor fit if the OP only wants more ummmphfff?
With just about any motor swap, the suspension components are going to have to be replaced. That's always a given. The rear, if AWD is possible, will have to be swapped also, not to forget the gas tank.
IMO, it's pointless to swap FWD to FWD. Turbo (I4) or s/c (V6) the motor are my suggestions.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97
Thank you for that RG. At least you provided some info with relevance to the OP's topic and not spam your site or the site you prefer just to recruit new members.
What you're saying is just what I've been trying to tell the OP. It's pointless to swap out a 4g64 for an N/A 6g72 from the 3kgt...again, what's the point? That and every swap into that car is going to be a chore.
The 8G Galant didn't come with a turbo motor or AWD nor is there an "easy" swap. Any motor swapped in is going to be a chore. My car was a chore because it is, for all intents and purpose, a different car than the Eclipse.
The point of my reasoning for the 6a13TT is the compatibility of the electronics such as the 4g63 electronics was to mine.
Here's another point and question for you RG. Does the 8G Galant have an shaft tunnel? If not, what's the point of doing a swap with an AWD motor (directed towards myself and my previous comments) and also, what's the point of trying to make a powerful motor fit if the OP only wants more ummmphfff?
With just about any motor swap, the suspension components are going to have to be replaced. That's always a given. The rear, if AWD is possible, will have to be swapped also, not to forget the gas tank.
IMO, it's pointless to swap FWD to FWD. Turbo (I4) or s/c (V6) the motor are my suggestions.
The EVO5 to EVO9 are an easy swap considering you use the EVO ECU and preferably the EVO or Eclipse manual transmission.

The only 'shaft' the Galant has is for the exhaust. It would have to be tubbed or expanded to fit the AWD driveshaft and differential.

I'd recommend doing a Turbo or S/C setup also. No hassle as with a full engine swap. However if you swap a 4G63 EVO engine into a Galant/Eclipse/Stratus/Sebring you don't need to upgrade the suspension. Each cars weight is roughly equivelent. A suspension change is not needed.

Now if you installed a V6 in a originally I4 car than yes, you want to upgrade the springs for additional load of the V6 engine. There are nice turbo and supercharger kits out there.

Old 04-22-2022, 01:07 PM

i have a 2011 mitubishi galant SE with a blown engine and need to find a replacement so far finding a 2.4L v4 is very difficult but i have came across a 3.8L v6 engine from a 2004 galant ive never swapped a engine before and would like to know if swapping these two motors would work or do i need to make modifications to make it fit inside of my 2011 engine bay and if so what
if anybody has any advice or has done this before id really appreciate the help please and thank you