Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Fuel Gauge Problem.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:12 AM
Default Fuel Gauge Problem.

I just bought a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES with 101,000 miles. Managed to buy the car from a dealer out the door 2,750 bucks. All it needed was new fuses and a new ignition coil; It does have a problem though, that is not only annoying, it just plain pisses me off.

The hopefully "minor" problem is that my gas gauge is quite finicky. Upon start and sitting in idle the gas gauge reads (from what i can tell so far) what the car actually has in it. Start driving the car and the gauge will either stay for a minute, or start going down, all the way to the 'E' and up and down, etc. I did however, drive on the interstate to bring the car home for about 50 minutes and the gas gauge read fine. Just when I got to making stops and etc. it started screwing up.

Being a brand new first time mitsubishi owner... and hoping it won't give me anymore problems (because I have fallen in love with the car), I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem to mine, and what they did about it, or any suggestions as to what might be causing the malfunction.

If anyone could offer suggestions in any way or form, it would be greatly appreciated! I'd love to know if there are any "tests" I could do to see what part is causing the read error for the gauge.

Thanks in advance!

-00mitsugalant

Old 11-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Default RE: Fuel Gauge Problem.

If I remember right some one else had this problem, if no one gives you an answere right away, trying searching it on this site.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:36 AM
Default RE: Fuel Gauge Problem.

I have a similar problem with my 2000 Galant with 55k miles on it. The fuel gauge sometimes drops to zero, then comes back up again. I have a feeling it is innacurate (shows that there is less gas in the tank than there really is).

Try buying a fuel injection cleaner and running it several times (can be bought at AutoZone). Just pour in in the nearly empty gas tank. See if that works.