Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

I need a little help: P0421 and P0431

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Default I need a little help: P0421 and P0431

Hey guys, I'm joining here on behalf of my sister. It's time to renew our tags, so we need an Emission inspection in GA.

Well sure enough, she failed. She has a 2005 Galant, 2.4L. She has the codes P0421 (bank 1) and P0431 (bank 2).

I'm familiar with the whole anit-fouler trick to space out the o2 when you eliminate the cats (in this case, hers went bad I guess), and I know if I do this I can eliminate the P0421 code, but what about P0431?

First off, how many o2 sensors does this sucker have? I haven't physically been able to look at the car yet, so right now I'm clueless. A Little guidance before I get under there would be appreciated as to how many there are, and their locations. And what size o2 sensor ratchet attachment will I need?

Also, could I space out another o2 to get rid of the P0431? From what I know, usually bank 0 would be closets to the engine, bank 1 would probably be near the header or mid pipe? and bank 2 more downstream on the exhaust somewhere?

Anyway, I only have about 4 days to get this done sometime between work and school. I Hope there is some ppl with good info here. Haha.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:38 PM

So I finally got to take a look, and there is four! o2 sensors. What a pain. Lol.

I would say the codes are coming because both the bottom o2 sensors are getting a reading of uncleaned air, but the whole bank 1 and bank 2 is throwing me off.

Any ideas?

Old 04-24-2010, 12:37 AM

that exhaust manifold has 2 cats on it. the 2 sensors closest to the front of the engine is considered bank 1. the 2 sensors to the rear is bank 2. gonna have to replace the manifold. it has the cats built into it. dont know if you can get that aftermarket. could be dealer item only

Old 04-24-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by jgbrules
that exhaust manifold has 2 cats on it. the 2 sensors closest to the front of the engine is considered bank 1. the 2 sensors to the rear is bank 2. gonna have to replace the manifold. it has the cats built into it. dont know if you can get that aftermarket. could be dealer item only
Replace the manifold because the cats are gone? But if I space out the bottom two oxygen sensors, then it would think the cats were doing their job... Wouldn't this be equivalent to replacing the exhaust manifold?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:05 AM

well dude, i fix things right. i dont play around with doing tricks with electronics, that may or may not work. in the dealership bussiness you cant do things like that, get you in trouble. but i do know one thing, if you live in a state where you have emissions testing, youll never pass even if you manage to get the light to go out, and if you dont get that light out and you live in a state where you have to have a brake tag inspection sticker, you wont pass either. good, luck.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by jgbrules
well dude, i fix things right. i dont play around with doing tricks with electronics, that may or may not work. in the dealership bussiness you cant do things like that, get you in trouble. but i do know one thing, if you live in a state where you have emissions testing, youll never pass even if you manage to get the light to go out, and if you dont get that light out and you live in a state where you have to have a brake tag inspection sticker, you wont pass either. good, luck.
Lol, well I have this done to my car because I removed the cats (I know it works), I'm just not familiar with this car or the codes.
I don't work at a dealership, my goal isn't to rape people of their money.

My state has emissions testing, hence why I needed to fix this, and the anti fouler trick did it. Passed