Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Longtime Galant owner, but new owner to a GTZ needs a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 01:40 AM
Default Longtime Galant owner, but new owner to a GTZ needs a little help.

I'm a longtime owner of a 2001 Galant ES that I drove for 13 years and put 220k miles on it. It has been a great car and very reliable. I was going to try to keep driving it until it died...and then last Saturday I came across a 2001 GTZ in sterling silver for sale with 127k on it that was really well taken care of. I test drove it and liked it so much I couldn't pass it up, and traded in my ES. So far, it is a world of difference driving a GTZ, with the V6 and all the upgrades over the ES. Merry Christmas to me!
I've searched online and already fixed a couple of little things on it, but there are a few questions I haven't been able to figure out. My cruise control doesn't work and the green light on the instrument panel doesn't come on. The vacuum hoses seem to be good, so would it most likely be the switch? Do these go out often? Is there a fuse for the cruise control, because I couldn't find one? Also, my fog lights work, but the green light for these also doesn't come on, on the instrument panel. Are there bulbs for the things on the instrument panel that can be replaced or is it just something I'm going to have to live with?
Another little annoying thing is that the glove box latch handle is broken and I can't get into the glove box. Does anyone know a way to open it when this is broken, and I'm guessing you can replace it with a used latch?
One more thing, has anyone replaced the door check strap thing? That hinge that is covered in plastic that helps the door to not open so quickly and not close on you when you're trying to get out. The plastic always wears out and breaks. I'm assuming you have to take off the door panel, so I'm wondering if it is worth the fix or if it is just another thing I have to live with. Don't get me wrong, these are small annoyances for how good the car is and for how little I had to pay for it.
Sorry this got so long. Maybe I should have broken it up into separate threads. Oh well. Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me.