Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Motor Mount Insert Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 01:19 AM
Default Motor Mount Insert Question

I've got a 2003 Galant GTZ (6G72). I'm looking for motor mount inserts, but can't find any specifically for my vehicle. Does anyone know where I can find them, or if my car shares the same motor mounts as another vehicle?

Thanks

Old 10-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Default RE: Motor Mount Insert Question

Whelp, since nobody knew, I did a little exploring of my own. Mitsubishi doesn't like to give out part numbers without a VIN, but I was eventually able to get the part numbers for the 3G auto and my vehicle--the motor mounts are the same.

I ordered these (5.1104) from Jegs.

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/mit.html

I ran the wheels up on ramps, removed the front and rear motor mounts, and CRAP!!! I needed a press to remove the old inserts. This was a Sunday, and I couldn't find a machine shop or automotive place open. I pushed the car off the ramps so that the landlord wouldn't tow me, and waited a day. I had the old inserts pressed out, and new ones pressed in--only took a couple of minutes. When I got back to the apt. I realized that I couldn't get the car on the ramps (I'm not starting an engine with only two side mounts), so I used a 2.25 ton jack. I attempted to jack where the service manual says to, but the only frontal jack point is under the center member, which was missing because the motor mount was attached to it. I figured that the next best thing would be to jack at the point where the center member tied into the subframe. I figured wrong. A bent radiator support assembly and $1,000 later, I had a working car. I guess the centermember distributes weight more evenly.

The car shifts a lot cleaner now, and then engine doesn't move as much when you take it from park into gear. It also shakes a whole hell of a lot because the vibration isn't dampened as much. I rather like it at the moment. I haven't had a chance to see if it reduces wheel hop yet, but i'm almost certain it will. Was it worth $1,100... hell no, but without that mishap it would have been a decent mod.

Sorry that I don't have any pics... I can't afford a camera at the moment. If anyone wants more specifics, then I'll be happy to provide directions.