Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

please help...galant no start condition

Old 11-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Default please help...galant no start condition

Hello,
I'm a newbie to this site...and was wondering if mabye someone else has experienced this problem. I have a 1995 Galant 5-speed...SOHC motor. I picked it up with a no start condition. I have since run it on a diagnosis computer...no trouble codes and the fuel pump works...I also have spark to the spark plugs. The engine turns over but sounds like its out of time (once in awhile get a backfire) The timing belt is in good condition. Apparently the person before i got to the car replaced the distributor and computer with junkyard parts. My understanding is that these cars have problems with the distributors, but cannot find whether this is the problem that is caused.

Any help is appreciated...Thank you

Old 11-03-2005, 01:55 AM
Default RE: please help...galant no start condition

If the engine cranks funny with the distributor disconnected and backfires with the distributor connected, you may have engine timing issues. You can 1st verify the cam/crank timing by taking off the top of the tbelt cover and checking the marks on the crank pulley and cam gear. Once at number 1 TDC- remove the distribor cap and verify that the rotor is facing towards the number 1 tower. YOu absolutly need to make sure the engine timing is right on before attempting to adjust ignition timing. Good Luck!

Joel, CA

Old 11-03-2005, 01:23 PM

Thanks Joel,
Yeah, I figured i would have to check the timing so i pulled the cover but was waiting on a repair manual just to be sure where the timing marks were.

I appreciate the help

Old 11-04-2005, 11:28 PM

If you end up doing a timing belt- give me a holla so i can set you up with some quick tips.

Joel, CA

Old 11-08-2005, 12:46 AM

joel...
or whoever...
I did some more work to the car... come to find that the timing is perfect and the belt has been replaced pretty recently...also the head is very fresh, not even any marks on the cam lobes yet. I also found that I only have spark in #1 and #3 cylinders. I'm thinking its the distributor. The coil checks out ok but from my understanding this could be caused by the cam or crank sensor that are "integral parts of the distributor" I'm going to try to find one from a salvage yard and see what happens. But if anyone with more experience with these cars thinks otherwise, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jim