Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

starting problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Angry starting problem?

1998 mitsubishi galant seems to be having anti-theft problems. My guess, what the car is doing, is starting up, being able to drive it, but it kind of feels funny, I get to where I'm going, and turn off the car, when I come back, it won't start. It's like the anti-theft has engaged. Thing is, even if I push the remote key bob, it won't reset the system. Yet, if I wait a few hours, then try the key bob again, then it will reset it, then the car will start. There have been times the car will have no trouble starting, for several weeks. Then with in a short period of time, it will act up constantly. My brother in law, who's a retired Mechanic of over 30 yrs, thinks it might be the starter, yet, I've HAVEN'T noticed any hesitation, or dragging of the car starting.
another problem we've had is getting the alternator belt to adjust properly. We adjust it, then it varies, with in a few weeks, the belt starts squealing again. It has got to the point where the belt has even broke. Now this last time we've adjusted it, we seem to have got it almost right. I do have some squealing, but very minor.
Do you think the anti-theft thingy, is related to the alternator belt, or am I wrong about the anti-theft, and brother in law is correct about the starter. Sorry for this to be so long, but it's the only way I could explain things

Old 07-01-2011, 11:21 AM

It could be a problem with the immobiliser itself, if you have trouble starting get out of the car and lock and unlock the car using the key (or from inside using the button by the handle) this will do a reset and if it now starts its more likely the immobiliser not the starter If it was me I'd find a garage that offers to look at these problems for free, they are hard to come by but they do exist. They will diagnose the problem and give you a quote to fix it, then you can just pick the car up and fix it yourself. They will have the equipment to test the alternator etc that I doubt your brother in law has available.

That said your brother in law has 30 years more experience as a mechanic then me so you could just take his advice and replace the starter, but if it turns out thats not the problem you'll have wasted your money...

I very much doubt its linked to the alternator belt problem because it starts from the battery, have you cleaned your battery contacts? Dirty contacts can lead to problems like this and plus it costs nothing so worth a shot.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Red face starting problems

brother in law decided that it's probably not the starter. Also, not the alternator.

What I've done so far, is turn the car off, get out of the car, lock it, then get back in the car, and try and start it. Sometimes it starts right away, then other times, not at all.

I've stop-started it several times in a row, drove it around the block as couple of times, then drove it over to my fathers house, which is roughly 2 miles.

Once I got there, the car would not start. I tried everything again, key bob, opening and locking the doors, turning the ignition on and off several times. Nothing worked.

Let the car sit over night, came back to my fathers, used the key bob to reset everything, as the lights etc. were blinking.

Darn car fired right up. ok, took the car home, put it in the drive way, didn't drive it. Waited about one week. Went out started the car right up, then did the driving around the block etc. thingy. Again, went over to my fathers, darn car would not start again. (NO, nothing wrong with my fathers house, hee hee. that did pop into my mind for a second. )

had the car towed to brother in laws house, we've started it and drove it up and down the driveway several times, he's had the same thing I've had. Sometimes it starts, other times it doesn't.
I was able to print off a copy of the anti-theft diagram, so this might help him a bit.

I feel like shooting the darn car sometimes.

Yeah I know, won't solve any problems, but might make me feel better. I'm now driving brother in laws work truck, a smaller Toyota truck, rusted all to hell, dirty greasy no the inside, runs great, odemitor doesn't work, Seedometer, doesn't work, Radio doens't work, no A/C, windshield is cracked multiple places,

and to top it off, it's one of those manual transmission trucks, where you have to make sure the clutch touches the floor completely, or the truck won't start.

See why I want MY CAR BACK!

Old 07-03-2011, 02:51 AM

Definitely give cleaning the battery connections a go they could be corroded which would result in this problem.

If the engine is always hot when its having problems starting (this is what it sounds like from your post correct me if I'm wrong) it could be a faulty temperature sensor (coolant or intake) or a clogged air filter, or a fuel injection problem.

Keep us posted anyway and hopefully you'll find the fix soon.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Talking starting problem

well brother in law, removed all of what he could of the anti-theft. So far, so good, Him and his brother drove it all around town on Sat. so far it's been starting. So maybe it was the anti-theft thingy after all. Guess I will try driving it around short distances, just in case. I don't want to get stranded somewhere.

Hurray!

He did tell me my air filter was dirty, along with I had a oil leak, I think he said a gasket. He did change the oil, changed the oil filter, Also adjusted that darn alternator belt that's been causing us problems from day ONE!

not that this has anything to do with starting, but he did tell me, that what theh heck, ? upper ball joint? not sure of the name, anyway, the bolt is rusted, which caused the pipe that goes down to the front wheels, is loose, no way to fix it unless it's welded or something. It's the body of the car, not the bolt or pipe that goes down to the wheels

Old 07-04-2011, 01:44 AM

Great it was the immobilizer after all, they do often go wrong and are a pain to fix. The oil gasket and air filter are usual wear and tear bad glad thats been done as well. I'd be quite worried about that rust underneath though, if your planning on keeping the car I'd have it done sooner rather then later, it sounds quite dangerous with a bolt rusted through like that.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Talking starting problem

hurray! so far, I've been driving my car off and on all day.

it's running! I've almost had to learn to drive it all over again.

I wish I could remember what he said that bolt was attached too.

It's just starting to rust, along with some movement of the bolt. He said, getting someone to fix it, would be expensive, it's also not something he can do.

Darn it, if my car was going to rust, why the heck in that spot!

I've seen cars that had more rust than car, yet, it was totally the body, with nothing affecting the drivability.

Guess I'll start looking for another car.

I've really been happy with this one. Even with it's unusual problems.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:41 AM

Get a quote from a garage before you decide to change your car. Expensive to your brother in law might be a price thats worth paying to you to keep the car, especialally as you know its history and condition overall. Also you'll be able to get a second opinion and a garage may be able to tell you it is a replaceable part after all and won't need welding.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Unhappy update starting problems

stupid car,

drove fine all week, multiple times starting stopping etc. no problem. I even drove it to work. 30 miles round trip.

Today, Sat. I drove it short distances around my side of town. Came home to take a nap before going to work. 3 pm,. went out to start the car, found I'd shut the seat belt inside the door. No biggie, huh? well, door was slightlly ajar, you know what I mean, all it needed was a good hip bump and it would have been fully shut.

well, now the car won't start.

exactly like what it's been doing. I really don't think the seat belt had anything to do with it. It had only been sitting like this for little over an hour.

damn thing.

pushed it out of the driveway, thank goodness for neighborhood kids that are young willing and strong.

it was actually and easy push.

anyway,

back to driving the toyota truck, at least it's wheels. no A/C, manual tranny, no radio, rusted all to heck,

have to check the radiator, every couple of days. New Radiator, but still losing fluid somehwere.

Brother in law, also said, he's had to put 4 starters in this darn toy truck.

can't afford a new car, can't even afford to get another car.

been out of work for 2 years. got a good job now, I just need at least 1 year to get back on my feet.

please, car, come back to life! and stay that way. just a little bit longer.!

Old 07-10-2011, 05:27 AM

That sucks

Hopefully it will mysteriously start working again, failing that call an auto electrician to look, he might find the problem after running some tests. Got to be less expensive to running around in an old leaky truck!

Quick Reply: starting problem?