Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

02 Lancer Es, Speedo jumps to 60 and freezes

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Default 02 Lancer Es, Speedo jumps to 60 and freezes

I have searched these forums and many others. Yet to no avail.

We just purchased this car last week. It drives great and did not indicate this problem until days later.

After getting gas and getting on the highway, I noticed that the speedometer was staying at about 60mph no matter how fast I was going. It would not move. After getting to my destination and a restart it still acted the same. Later after driving a while I hit a bump and it began working fine. Next day it acted up again. It would be at 0 until you start driving and the very quickly climb to 60. It would fall back to 0 when you stop at a light, but climb right back up to 60 by the time you reached about 15mph and would stay there unless you came to a stop.
I began to think it was a connection problem, but can it be a bad speed sensor? Or?

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks....

Old 01-31-2011, 03:10 PM

Automatic transmission?
From cars I've messed with that had speed sensors, it tended to cause erratic shifting in the auto trans. Having anything like that?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Default 02 Lancer ES - Speedometer not working

Yes, I guess that would have been a helpful detail.

It has an automatic transmission. Other details?: the car does not have cruise control. But all other power options. 4cylinder. ES car.

The trans is shifting perfectly. Good shifts at appropriate times and kickdown/passing works fine.

That is why I hesitated to blame the speed sensor.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:59 PM

I've searched the field service manual and all I can find is the fact that there are speed sensors. Nothing on testing and troubleshooting so far. There is an input shaft speed sensor and output shaft speed sensor. No other info. Going to PM you something else, so check your messages.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Default 02 Lancer Es, Speedo jumps to 60 and freezes

Thank you for looking into this. I really appreciate the help.

Would I be correct in assuming that the output shaft sensor is probably the one that supplies the signal for the speedometer? The odometer and trip meters are functioning fine and seem to be accurate. My wife drives it to work and the distance to and from work are correct as compared to the other vehicle she was driving.

We used to have issues with the cluster in our Chrysler T/C van and it was a cluster issue. Are there any known issues with the dash/clusters in these Lancers? or Mitsubishis's in general.

Again, thank you, very much!

By the way, I have not received any PM from you. So if you would like to, resend it.

Last edited by daddy24boys; 02-02-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: added content
Old 01-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by daddy24boys
Thank you for looking into this. I really appreciate the help.

Would I be correct in assuming that the output shaft sensor is probably the one that supplies the signal for the speedometer? The odometer and trip meters are functioning fine and seem to be accurate. My wife drives it to work and the distance to and from work are correct as compared to the other vehicle she was driving.

We used to have issues with the cluster in our Chrysler T/C van and it was a cluster issue. Are there any known issues with the dash/clusters in these Lancers? or Mitsubishis's in general.

Again, thank you, very much!

By the way, I have not received any PM from you. So if you would like to, resend it.
Hey folks, New member, New owner of 2002 Lancer.

Our car has exactly the same issue, was there a resolution that you discovered to this issue?

Speed Sensor, Wiring, Cluster?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Default I'm having the same problem

Originally Posted by Fe2O3
I've searched the field service manual and all I can find is the fact that there are speed sensors. Nothing on testing and troubleshooting so far. There is an input shaft speed sensor and output shaft speed sensor. No other info. Going to PM you something else, so check your messages.
im having the same problem with my vehicle was wondering if you could give me the info you discovered about your car if you fixed the issue or not