Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

2002 Lancer ES timing belt/bent valve?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Default 2002 Lancer ES timing belt/bent valve?

02 Lancer ES 4G94 2.0. this is my daughters car and her idiot ex didn't replace the timing belt as recommended.
Long story short, engine died when sitting at a light, timing belt broke so it was towed to shop, timing belt replaced, ran good for about 2 years but progressively started idling rough and throwing an occasional #1 cyl misfire code. Tried swapped coil packs but misfire remained on #1. Several compression checks revealed #1 was losing compression until the misfire code would come right back on after being cleared and now it will not pass Massachusetts emission testing.

I'm assuming the 4G94 is an interference motor and it must have tagged a valve(s) which progressively burnt until it dropped compression in #1 cyl. I don't know much about the 4G94's but this would be true on american V8's. Does this sound like a practical diagnosis?

My daughter is divorced struggling to survive so I'm trying to help with her car as much as I can but I'm disabled so I can't afford to make costly mistakes! and I've located a complete head assy w/only 70k for $100.

Any thoughts, suggestions or anything no matter how small would be truly and very much appreciated.
Thanks

Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 PM

My suggestion is to remove the head and have it repaired (new valves, seats, ect.) Possible resurface, new head gasket as well. However since you did find one for $100 bucks direct replacement, have it checked out before you purchase it. Should do the trick.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEclipse
However since you did find one for $100 bucks direct replacement, have it checked out before you purchase it. Should do the trick.
Sending out the original head was my first thought but my daughter needs her car for work so besides money being an issue time is as well! I guess I'm supposed to be superman now!

I've already bought the new (used) head and it was off of a good running car with only 70k and I could not pass it up as every other quote from salvage yards were in the $200 - $350 range! I'd hate to see what a twin cam goes for? Sorry but I don't know much about imports, gimmie a big block Ford any day.

Just under $50 for an upper end gasket set and I'm hoping to get her back on the road for under $200. Don't ever screw your back up cause it sucks big time when you can't do what you used to not to mention the insult the government gives for disability after working 40+ years!
Thank you for your reply, BBW