Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

2009 Lancer 2.0 DI-D sudden acceleration loss problem ("limp mode")

Old 04-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Default 2009 Lancer 2.0 DI-D sudden acceleration loss problem ("limp mode")

Hello fellows,

I am new here and registered because of the "weird" problem with my Lancer. I have 2009 Lancer 2.0 DI-D (diesel) Sportback.

The problem - occasionally (1 time out of 5 approx), when I start the engine and start hitting the acceleration pedal during first 2 minutes it might happen that upon developing speed the car suddenly drops the speed, goes into so called "limp mode" as if in neutral gear. Then I have to let the acceleration pedal go (take off my foot completely) and press it once again - the car reacts and drives as nothing had ever happened. Once this happens, it does not repeat during the journey. As I said it happens only while the engine is cold - 1 or 2 minutes from the start and occasionally. I went to the official Mitsubishi auto repair center, they found two errors: 1) Turbo overboost controller range center (or something like that, sorry, not an expert in cars) 2) EGR valve. I checked the car in another repair center, it saw same errors. First thing I did was - EGR valve was cleaned up. Did not help. Secondly, my turbo was taken out and inspected - it was also cleaned up, calibrated, they told me that it was in perfect condition. I thought my problem will be gone. Oh boy, I was wrong. Then I started studying forums and was surprised how many people have this problem. However, the strangest thing was that nobody is 100 % sure what causes this problem.

I shall try to summarize my study. Most possible causes can be: 1) faulty EGR valve (perhaps needs replacement as cleaning it out might not help); 2) faulty turbo; 3) faulty turbo pressure sensor; 4) faulty fuel pump; 5) loosened pipes which intake air and this causes problems with pressure in the turbo; 6) catalyst might need cleaning out.

Anyway, my fellows, perhaps someone knows what I should do next? I am tired of wasting my time and money on garage experts that are trying to fix this issue, however, none of them are sure what might cause it.

This problem is driving me mad, started thinking about selling the car, however, I love everything about it except this problem.

Hope to find the true reason for this vehicle misbehavior which would help also many other owners on the planet. There is actually a similar thread about Outlander models in this forum.

So, any ideas? What should I do next?

Thank you in advance!